Craving a quick and delicious dinner option that the entire family will love? Look no further! This Homemade Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper recipe is a one-pan wonder that’s not only easy to make, but also packed with flavor. While the boxed version may have its place in a pinch, this homemade rendition takes things to a whole new level. Say goodbye to preservatives and artificial flavors, and say hello to a rich, creamy, and oh-so-delicious one-pan meal that’s a world apart from anything that comes out of a box.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS ONE-PAN CHEESEBURGER HAMBURGER HELPER
- Easy to Make: This Homemade Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper recipe is a breeze to prepare. With just one pan and a handful of ingredients, you’ll have a hearty meal on the table in no time.
- Kid-Friendly: Kids adore the cheesy goodness of this dish. If you have picky eaters at home, this recipe is a surefire way to make them happy.
- Cost-Effective: Eating out can get expensive, but this homemade version of Hamburger Helper is budget-friendly and can be customized to your taste.
- Ditch the Box: Hamburger helper in a box is full of preservatives. Although indulgent, this homemade version has no artificial flavors, or ingredients you can’t pronounce.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESEBURGER HAMBURGER HELPER
This cheesy pasta dinner could not be easier to prepare, just follow these simple steps:
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat, breaking it apart as it cooks. Drain most of the grease (leave a few teaspoons for thickening).
- Season the beef with salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix well.
- Sprinkle with flour. Mix and allow the raw flour taste to cook off for a minute or two.
- Pour in the chicken stock and heavy cream. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a heavy simmer.
- Add in the dried pasta. Mix.
- Reduce heat. Cover and allow to simmer until the pasta is al dente (about 8 minutes).
- Add the Velveeta cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheeses melt and the sauce thickens, creating a creamy consistency.
- Serve this Homemade Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper immediately, garnished with fresh chopped parsley.
TIPS ON MAKING THE BEST CHEESEBURGER HAMBURGER HELPER AT HOME
- Use Lean Ground Beef: Opt for lean ground beef to reduce excess fat in the dish while still enjoying the delicious flavor of beef.
- Adjust the Seasoning: Customize the seasoning to your taste. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for some heat or a splash of Worcestershire sauce for extra depth of flavor.
- Fresh Herbs: If you have fresh parsley or chives on hand, use them for garnish. Fresh herbs add a burst of color and freshness to the dish.
- Gradually Add Cheese: When adding the cheese, do it gradually and stir well to ensure a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Ground Turkey or Chicken: Swap out ground beef for ground turkey or chicken if you’re looking for a leaner protein option.
- Vegetarian Version: Replace the ground meat with plant-based alternatives like crumbled tofu, tempeh, or a meatless ground beef substitute for a vegetarian version.
- Broth Variations: If you don’t have chicken stock, you can use vegetable broth or beef broth as alternatives.
- Milk Alternatives: Substitute heavy cream with whole milk or a dairy-free milk like almond or oat milk for a lighter version.
- Cheese Options: Experiment with different cheeses. Instead of Velveeta, try American cheese slices or extra sharp cheddar for a unique twist.
- Gluten-Free Pasta: Use gluten-free pasta if you have dietary restrictions or preferences.
- Spice It Up: Add diced jalapeños or green chilies for a spicy kick.
- Veggies: Sneak in some veggies by adding finely chopped spinach, bell peppers, or mushrooms to the mix for added nutrition.
HOW TO SERVE AND STORE HOMEMADE CHEESEBURGER HAMBURGER HELPER
This one-pan, cheesy meal is a complete dish on its own. However, but you can enhance your dinner experience by serving it with:
- Steamed Vegetables: A side of steamed broccoli or green beans adds a healthy touch to the meal.
- Garlic Bread: Toasted garlic bread is the perfect accompaniment to scoop up every last bit of that creamy cheese sauce.
- Side Salad: A crisp garden salad with a light vinaigrette dressing provides a refreshing contrast to the rich flavors of the Hamburger Helper.
If you have leftovers, follow these steps to store them properly:
- Allow the dish to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer any remaining Hamburger Helper to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- To reheat, simply warm it in the microwave or on the stovetop, adding a splash of milk or cream to restore the creamy consistency.
MORE TO LOVE
If you love this Homemade Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper recipe, try these too:Print
GET TO KNOW ME!
WELCOME! My name is Melissa Latin aka. Charlotte Fashion Plate. Happy to meet you! I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!