There is, or was, a restaurant, Happy Ending Burger in Sydney, Australia serving up this delicious, Crispy Chicken Ice Cream Sandwich. Since I have no plans to travel to Sydney is the near future, I had to make this incredible creation in my kitchen. Honestly, it’s kinda strange when you first hear about it, or even look at it. However, I can assure you, you are going to love, love, love this unusual version of a Fried Chicken Sandwich! Especially, if you are a fan of sweet and savory combinations.
Yes, this unique fried chicken sandwich is very indulgent. In my opinion, it’s worth every single calorie!
Tools to Make this Crispy Chicken Sandwich
Ingredients to Make Crispy Chicken Ice Cream Sandwich
- Boneless Chicken Breasts: Substitute with boneless chicken thighs.
- Brioche Hamburger Buns: Use challah bread or soft potato buns, if brioche buns are unavailable.
- Buttermilk: Create a substitute by adding lemon juice or vinegar to milk.
- Rice Flour: Cornstarch is a great substitute. The addition of rice four or cornstarch helps to create a super crunchy crust.
- Maple Syrup: Choose real maple syrup or substitute with honey or agave syrup.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: Try cayenne pepper for added heat.
- Oil for Deep Frying: Canola, vegetable or peanut oil are suitable choices.
How to Make Crispy, Buttermilk Fried Chicken
The key to this entire chicken sandwich recipe is to create a fabulous, crispy and crunchy coating on the chicken, while maintaining a juicy inside. The following method to prepare buttermilk fried chicken, works every single time:
- In a bowl combine the buttermilk, one teaspoon of salt, and one teaspoon of black pepper. Add the chicken breasts and marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
- In a large bowl or platter, combine the flour, rice flour (or cornstarch), remaining salt and pepper and paprika.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, then return to the buttermilk and dredge again in the flour mixture for a double-coat. Ensure the flour is packed onto the chicken.
- Shake off any excess flour and place on a cooling rack to dry while heating the oil (this step is important).
- Heat oil in a pot or deep fryer to 340°-350°F. Fry the chicken for about 8 minutes before flipping.
- Flip and allow the chicken to brown on the other side. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Drain of any excess grease.
How to Finish and Serve this Crispy Fried Chicken Ice Cream Sandwich
- While the chicken is frying, brush melted butter on the insides of the buns and toast in a pan until golden brown.
- Combine the maple syrup and crushed red pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30-seconds.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing the fried chicken on the bottom bun, top with scoops of vanilla bean ice cream and drizzle with the warm, spicy maple syrup.
- Serve immediately paired with a side of crispy French fries, sweet potato fries or a fresh salad.
Due to the nature of this dish, leftovers may not store well and are best enjoyed immediately for optimal flavor and texture.
More Crispy Chicken Recipe to Love
- Crispy Parmesan Fried Chicken Cutlets
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Croquettes
- Nashville Hot Chicken Bake
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Chicken and Waffles
GET TO KNOW ME!
WELCOME! My name is Melissa Latin aka. Charlotte Fashion Plate. Happy to meet you! I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
In addition, I’m so very excited to announce I have published my first e-book and paperback, “Mastering Thanksgiving – A Guide to Perfecting Your Thanksgiving Dinner.” Your support would mean the world to me.
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!