It’s time to ditch the boxed, “San Francisco Treat!” Homemade Almond Rice Pilaf is super easy to prepare, and incredibly delicious. Toasted almonds add a beautiful crunchy texture to this tasty side dish. Rice pilaf is a versatile side dish that perfectly compliments a wide range of proteins and vegetables.
What is Rice Pilaf?
Rice pilaf is a dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth, often with added ingredients such as vegetables, meat or nuts. The rice is typically sautéed in oil or butter before cooking, which adds a nutty flavor and helps to keep the grains separate. The cooking process involves simmering the rice in a flavorful liquid, such as broth or stock, along with various seasonings.
How to Make Almond Rice Pilaf
- In a small pot, heat the chicken broth, butter, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Reserve.
- In a separate pan, add the olive oil and orzo. Toast the orzo until browned.
- Add in the minced garlic and shallot. Allow to cook for just a minute. Do not brown or burn.
- Add in the rice. Season with a touch more kosher salt.
- Pour in the hot stock. Mix.
- Cover and allow the mixture to simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes.
- As the rice is simmering, toast the almonds in a pan.
- Once the rice is finished, fluff with a fork.
- Add in the toasted almonds and fresh chopped parsley.
Tips to Making the Best Almond Rice Pilaf
For the fluffiest and tastiest homemade rice pilaf, be sure to follow these tips:
- Broken spaghetti can be used in replacement of the orzo.
- Use a medium or long-grain rice.
- The stock needs to be hot when pouring into the rice mixture.
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear to remove excess starch, ensuring fluffy grains after cooking.
- Toast the orzo in olive oil until it turns golden brown; this enhances its nutty flavor and adds depth to the dish.
- Soften minced garlic and shallot without browning them to maintain a subtle, aromatic taste in the pilaf.
- Adjust the quantity of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika to suit your taste preferences.
- For vegetarian rice pilaf, use vegetable broth.
- Simmer the rice on low heat after adding the hot stock mixture, allowing it to absorb flavors gradually.
- After cooking, fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains and prevent a sticky texture.
- Toast the almonds separately in a pan to enhance their crunch and release their nutty aroma.
- Add fresh chopped parsley or your favorite herbs at the end for a burst of freshness and color.
- Experiment with various protein and vegetable pairings.
Serving Suggestions and Storage
This lovely Almond Rice Pilaf recipe is a perfect accompaniment to any protein, or vegetable. Enjoy this nutty rice recipe with any of the following suggestions:
- Dover Sole Meunière
- Spatchcock Chicken
- Pan Fried Trout
- Grilled Fish
- Roasted Whole Fish
- Baked Fish in Parchment Paper
Leftovers are amazing, and can be enjoyed for 3-4 days in the fridge. To reheat, simply sprinkle a little water over the rice and warm it in the microwave, or on the stovetop. The pilaf retains its delightful flavors even after reheating, making it a convenient and delicious choice for quick and satisfying meals.Print
GET TO KNOW ME!
WELCOME! My name is Melissa Latin aka. Charlotte Fashion Plate. Happy to meet you! I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
In addition, I’m so very excited to announce I have published my first e-book and paperback, “Mastering Thanksgiving – A Guide to Perfecting Your Thanksgiving Dinner.” Your support would mean the world to me.
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!