Ditch the boxed “San Francisco Treat!” Homemade Almond Rice Pilaf is super easy to prepare, and incredibly delicious. Toasted almonds add a beautiful crunchy texture to this dish. This side dish was prepared to accompany my lovely Dover Sole Meunière. This savory rice recipe makes for a lovely side dish for almost any protein. Alternatively, make as a vegetarian rice pilaf by simply substituting vegetable broth for the chicken stock.
- 2 3/4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 cup medium-grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a saucepan, heat up the chicken broth, butter, kosher salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Rinse the rise until the water runs clear. Reserve.
- In a separate pan, add the olive oil and orzo. Toast the orzo until it’s browned.
- Add in the minced garlic and shallot. Allow to cook for just a minute.
- Add in the rice. Season with a touch more kosher salt.
- Pour in the hot stock. Mix.
- Cover and allow the mixture to simmer on low for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- As the rice is simmering, toast the almonds in a pan.
- Once the rice is finished, fluff with a fork.
- Add in the toasted almonds and fresh parsley.
- Serve and ENJOY!
SEE POST FOR NOTES!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: how to make rice pilaf, how to make homemade rice pilaf, what is rice pilaf, how to make vegetarian rice pilaf, substitute for orzo pasta, side dish recipe ideas, easy side dish recipes,