This Savory Puff Pastry Quiche is a mouthwatering combination of flavors and textures that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. With a flaky puff pastry crust and a filling packed with country sausage, jalapeños, and cheddar cheese, this quiche is a showstopper that’s surprisingly easy to make.
LET’S TALK QUICHE!
A quiche is a savory, open-faced pastry dish that consists of a pastry crust filled with a mixture of eggs and cream. This egg pie is enriched with various ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables, and herbs. The custard-like filling binds the ingredients together as it bakes. Quiche is enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. Additionally, its versatility allows for endless variations to suit different tastes and occasions.
Quiche is traditionally made with shortcrust pastry. However, using puff pastry offers a unique twist. Puff pastry adds an extra layer of flakiness and a buttery texture to the dish. The choice between puff pastry and shortcrust depends on personal preference.
If you love quiche, check out more of my amazing recipes:
WHY MAKE THIS BREAKFAST QUICHE
Searching for a breakfast quiche idea that suits various occasions? Look no further. This Savory Deep Dish Quiche seamlessly transitions from your everyday morning routine to a grand holiday brunch, or unique dinner. Its rustic elegance is equally at home on a casual family breakfast table as it is on a festive spread during celebrations.
Here are a few more reasons why you should try to create this savory breakfast recipe:
- Easy and Impressive: While it looks and tastes impressive, making this puff pastry quiche is straightforward, making you a breakfast superstar with minimal effort.
- Flavor Explosion: The combination of country sausage, onions, jalapeños, and cheddar cheese creates a burst of flavors in every bite. Now, imagine all of this breakfast goodness nestled on a bed of flaky, buttery puff pastry.
- Versatile Delight: Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a special holiday morning, this dish caters to various occasions.
- Customizable: The beauty of this savory quiche recipe lies in its adaptability. Swap out the country sausage for a turkey, bacon, ham or a vegetarian alternative if you’re looking to lighten things up. Adjust the jalapeño quantity to suit your spice threshold.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THIS SAVORY PUFF PASTRY QUICHE
- Puff Pastry – For ease, use store-bought refrigerated or frozen. If using frozen, be sure to thaw in fridge according to package directions.
- Country Sausage – Crisp bacon, ham or a plant-based alternative are great substitutes.
- Fresh Jalapeños – Adds the perfect amount of heat.
- Cheese – Gruyère, Swiss or Fontina are great alternatives.
Instructions on How to Make the Best Savory Quiche
Blind baking the pastry for this Savory Puff Pastry Quiche is an essential step to ensure that the crust remains crisp and flaky. It provides a sturdy base for the filling, while preventing it from becoming soggy. To maximize your time efficiency in the kitchen, you can prepare the quiche filling, including the egg custard, while the pastry is blind baking.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (190°C).
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry sheet to fit a deep dish tart pan. Press it gently into the pan, making sure it covers the bottom and sides.
- Trim any excess pastry hanging over the edge.
- Poke the bottom and the sides with a fork. Cover the pastry with crumbled parchment paper. Add in any dried beans you have on hand.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, start browning the sausage in a pan.
- While the sausage is browning, prepare the egg mixture. In a bowl, add in the eggs, heavy cream salt and pepper. Blend with an immersion blender or whisk.
- Once the sausage is almost fully cooked, add in the diced jalapeños and onions. Allow the sausage to finish cooking and the vegetables to soften. Drain any excess grease.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Lift off the parchment paper with the dried beans.
- Line the bottom of the crust with half of the shredded cheese. Spread out the sausage evenly, then pour in the egg cream mixture.
- Top off with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Brush the edges of the crust with an egg wash.
- Place back into the oven for about 25 -30 minutes, or until the egg sets.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
HOW TO SERVE
For a complete meal, whether you are serving for breakfast, brunch or dinner, here are a few pairing ideas:
- fruit salad
- mixed green salad
- roasted potatoes or hash browns
- tomato soup
- roasted vegetables
HOW TO STORE
Although not likely, if you do have leftovers of this savory, deep-dish quiche recipe, follow these steps to keep them fresh:
- Let the quiche cool to room temperature.
- Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
To reheat, simply pop in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes, or until heated through.
Once cooled, the quiche can also be frozen up to three months. When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen Savory Puff Pastry Quiche:
- Thaw in the Refrigerator: The safest way to thaw the quiche is to transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator. Allow it to thaw slowly for 24-48 hours. Thawing in the refrigerator ensures even and safe defrosting.
- Reheat in the Oven: Once the quiche is thawed, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Unwrap the quiche and place it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until it’s heated through and the crust is crispy again. You can cover the edges with foil if they brown too quickly.
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!