As a recipe creator, I make multiple trips to the market on a weekly and sometimes, daily basis. Yesterday, I wanted to “use what I had” to make dinner. Luckily, I picked up a few colorful, plump heirloom tomatoes a few days prior at my local farmers market. Also, knowing I had store-bought pie dough and fresh spinach I needed to use up, this idea for this Heirloom Tomato Spinach Galette came to mind. When it comes to delightful summer recipes, few things can rival the exquisite flavor and vibrant colors of this savory galette. It’s a rustic and elegant dish that not only celebrates the best of seasonal produce, but also captures the essence of simplicity and sophistication on a single plate.
WHY HEIRLOOM TOMATOES AND SPINACH?
The star ingredients of this savory galette – heirloom tomatoes and spinach – are what set this dish apart. Heirloom tomatoes, known for their diverse shapes, sizes, and colors, bring a burst of rich and nuanced flavors to every bite. Their juicy texture and natural sweetness are enhanced when roasted. Nutrient-packed spinach adds a hint of earthiness and lends to the rustic feel of this tomato pie.
It’s important to use the best heirloom tomatoes you can find. The heirloom tomatoes need to be ripened, and bursting with flavor.
WHAT IS A GALETTE?
A galette is a rustic and free-form pastry, typically consisting of a flaky and buttery crust that encases a filling, often made with fruits, vegetables, or savory ingredients. Unlike traditional pies or tarts, galettes are known for their simple preparation and casual appearance, with the dough folded over the edges of the filling, creating a pleated, open-faced structure.
Galettes can be both sweet and savory, offering a versatile canvas for creative culinary combinations. The term “galette” originates from French cuisine, reflecting its rustic charm and the emphasis on using seasonal ingredients to create a visually appealing and flavorful dish.
THE GALETTE CRUST
For ease, use a refrigerated pie crust to create this savory heirloom tomato tart. Alternatively, and more traditionally, prepare a simple, flaky homemade crust using this recipe and method:
Ingredients for the Crust:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup ice water
- In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt to combine.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough just comes together.
- Shape the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEST HEIRLOOM TOMATO SPINACH GALETTE
This Heirloom Tomato Spinach Galette is a remarkably versatile recipe that lends itself to a wide range of culinary interpretations and occasions. Its adaptability allows you to customize the flavors, ingredients, and presentation to suit your preferences.
- Heirloom tomatoes are the star of this summer galette recipe. Choose 2 large, or 3 medium-sized, very ripe heirloom tomatoes in varying colors.
- Sautéed spinach and garlic adds another level of flavor to this vegetable tart.
- Cheeses. Shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese pairs perfectly with the freshly grated Parmesan topping. Feta, goat, ricotta Gruyere, or aged cheddar cheese would be great alternatives.
- Seasonings. Simply season this savory galette with salt, pepper and dried oregano to allow the natural sweetness of the heirloom tomatoes to shine.
- Galette crust. For ease use store-bought pie dough, or follow the galette crust recipe to make a flaky, homemade crust.
- Herbs. Fresh torn basil or fresh thyme leaves are perfect additions for garnishing this flaky tomato galette.
TIPS ON MAKING THE PERFECT TOMATO SPINACH GALETTE
- Once the heirloom tomatoes are sliced, lay them out on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt to help extract any excess juice.
- Roll the dough to a 14″ round. Do not be concerned about perfect edges. This tomato galette is meant to have a rustic appearance.
- Adding the shredded provolone cheese to the base of the galette dough will help to create a barrier and prevent the juices from soaking into the pastry. Thus, preventing a soggy crust.
- When adding the filling to the galette dough, leave a 2″ border for folding up the edges of the dough.
- Brush with egg wash prior to baking for a golden crust.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet at 400° for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow the galette to rest for at least 10 minutes prior to cutting.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AN HEIRLOOM TOMATO SPINACH GALETTE?
Whether serving this Heirloom Tomato Spinach Galette for brunch, lunch or dinner, here are some delightful options to consider serving alongside:
Storing and Reheating Leftover Galette
Prior to storing, cut leftover tomato galette into individual portions and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil. Refrigerate up to 3 to 4 days. Reheat in a 350° oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
If stored properly, this homemade tomato tart can be frozen up to 3 months. Reheat frozen in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes.Print
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!