When it comes to delightful summer recipes, few things can rival the exquisite flavor and vibrant colors of this Heirloom Tomato Spinach Galette. It’s a rustic and elegant dish that not only celebrates the best of seasonal produce, but also captures the essence of simplicity and sophistication on a single plate.
- 2 large, or 3 medium-sized ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, or see recipe for homemade galette dough
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 torn basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice the tomatoes. Lay them out on paper towels sprinkled with kosher salt for at least five minutes.
- Heat up a teaspoon of olive oil in a pan. Add the minced garlic and spinach. Season with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Sauté until the spinach is just wilted.
- Roll out the galette dough to approximately 14″.
- Place dough on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the dough with the remaining olive oil making sure to leave a 2″ border around the dough.
- Top with the shredded provolone cheese.
- Top the cheese with the spinach mixture.
- Blot the tomatoes with a paper towel and arrange them on top of the spinach mixture.
- Season the tomatoes with salt, black pepper and dried oregano.
- Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
- Fold the outer edges of the dough onto the tomatoes creating pleats.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg with the water to create an egg wash.
- Brush the outer edges of the dough with the egg wash.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the tomatoes have slightly caramelized.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes prior to cutting.
- Garnish with fresh torn basil or fresh thyme leaves.
- choose very ripe heirloom tomatoes
- slice tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and allow them to sit on paper towels to drain off any excess juice
- be sure to leave a 2″ border around the dough when filling
- brush with an egg wash to create a golden crust
- bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for a crispy bottom crust
- allow to cool at least 10 minutes prior to cutting
- see post for more tips and substitutions
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Moderate
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Art of pleating galette dough, Baking with heirloom tomatoes, Basil garnish, Colorful summer recipe, Delicious vegetarian option, dinner ideas, Easy homemade galette, Farm-to-table cooking, Farmhouse-style galette, Flaky pastry crust, Flavors of the season, Fresh basil leaves, Fresh heirloom tomatoes, Galette assembly guide, Galette baking tips, Galette for brunch or dinner, Galette with a twist, Garden-fresh flavors, Golden-brown crust, Heirloom tomato showcase, Heirloom Tomato Spinach Galette, Heirloom tomato tart, Homemade galette dough, Homemade pastry for galette, Impressive yet easy recipe, Nutrient-packed spinach, Roasted heirloom tomatoes, Rustic pie crust, Rustic tomato and spinach tart, Savory galette, savory galette recipe, Seasonal produce recipe, Simple and elegant dish, Spinach-filled galette, Step-by-step galette recipe, Summer galette recipe, Tomato and cheese galette, Tomato and spinach galette filling, Tomato and spinach pairing, tomato galette recipe, what is a galette, Wholesome vegetable tart