Oh, the wonderful dishes that can be created out of canned tuna. Honestly, I think tuna in a can is a bit underrated. Growing up, I loved a simple tuna and mayo mixture on soft bread. As an adult however, I yearn for a more elevated version of my go-to childhood sandwich. So, I developed this not so classic tuna recipe using fresh, crunchy vegetables with a creamy dijon mayo base. Additionally, this lunch favorite is super easy and quick to prepare. Hope you enjoy my recipe for The Best Canned Tuna Salad.
Of course, you can view my short TikTok video showing you how to make this delicious canned tuna salad. Be sure to check it out down below. If you have not yet signed up for this social media platform, use my code 5SSIS800K0H06 to create an account.
THE BEST CANNED TUNA FOR SALAD
Honestly, there are so many canned tuna brands and species of tuna to pick from as an ingredient for tuna salad. The most common types of canned tuna fish include:
- yellow fin tuna
- albacore tuna
- skipjack tuna
Water vs. Oil
Although I love a great tuna packed in oil, I would suggest using canned tuna fish packed in water for this Tuna Salad recipe. Canned tuna packed in oil is a great option for a No Mayo Tuna Salad recipe.
Chunk vs. Solid Canned Tuna
Both, chunk tuna and solid tuna fish are great options for this classic tuna salad recipe. In my opinion, I would base this decision on price.
Sustainability and Dolphin-Safe Tuna
When selecting a canned tuna for consumption, use the motto, “know before you buy.” Choose a sustainable tuna fish that is dolphin-safe.
TIPS ON MAKING THE BEST CANNED TUNA SALAD
Want to make the best tuna fish salad recipe? Follow these helpful tips:
- thoroughly drain the tuna (no one likes a watery tuna salad)
- allow the diced celery and onions to lay on paper towels for a few minutes to soak up any excess moisture
- for added flavor, dice up a few celery leaves
- feel free to leave out the diced jalapeño, or replace with crushed red pepper flakes
- knife cuts are important…be consistent
- sweet relish is a great substitute for dill relish
- use a quality mayonnaise and incorporate slowly (you may, or may not use the suggested recipe amount)
- prior to serving, allow the tuna salad to chill in the fridge for about an hour
- add hardboiled eggs, if you so desire
- if you are not a fan of canned tuna, substitute with canned chicken or rotisserie chicken for a wonderful chicken salad recipe
HOW TO SERVE THE BEST CANNED TUNA SALAD
Believe me, this quick and easy Canned Tuna Salad, is perfect right out of the bowl. However, below are a few alternative serving suggestions:
- on crackers
- as a sandwich on bread, toast, muffins and or croissants
- with lettuce, or other greens
- filled into endive cups
- inside of a hollowed out tomato, or with tomato slices
- filling for a hollowed out avocado
- tuna melt
- topped on cucumber slices
HOW TO STORE TUNA SALAD
This classic lunch salad should not stay out of the fridge longer than two hours given the use of mayo. Store in an airtight container in the the fridge. Tuna salad will keep for about three days, making this tuna lunch favorite, perfect for meal prep. Additionally, I would NOT recommended storing this salad in the freezer.Print
LET’S GET SOCIAL!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!