This Crunchy Panko Crusted Fish Sandwich is a delectable delight that will tantalize your taste buds! Serve this crunchy fish sandwich on a soft, toasted brioche bun and top with peppery arugula, and a tangy, homemade tartar sauce coleslaw. Add a side of Hand Cut Fries that are perfectly cooked to a crispy golden-brown and seasoned with just the right amount of salt.
For an special touch when serving this perfectly fried fish sandwich, display on this newspaper print parchment sheets.
LET’S TALK FISH
Luckily, my local fishmonger had fresh corvina in stock on the day I made this Crunchy Fish Sandwich. Corvina fish is a type of marine fish that is highly valued for its mild and sweet flesh, making it a popular choice for seafood lovers.
This type of fish is quite versatile and can be cooked in various ways, including grilling, baking, and frying. Corvina is commonly found in Latin American, Caribbean, and Mediterranean cuisines. As a seafood delicacy, Corvina fish is a highly sought-after ingredient in gourmet dishes and is often served in high-end restaurants.
For a lighter and healthier preparation, try my Corvina with Tomatoes.
Substitutions for Corvina
Corvina is a firm, yet flaky fish that holds up well in a perfectly fried fish sandwich.
If you are unable to find Corvina fish in your area or simply want to try a different type of fish, there are several alternatives that can be used as substitutes. Here are some options:
- Cod: Cod is a mild-tasting fish with a firm texture that can be substituted for Corvina in many dishes.
- Red snapper: Red snapper has a similar texture and flavor to Corvina fish, making it a suitable replacement in many recipes.
- Sea bass: Sea bass is another fish that can be substituted for Corvina. It has a mild, delicate flavor and firm flesh that works well in a variety of dishes.
- Mahi-mahi: Mahi-mahi has a slightly stronger flavor than Corvina, but it has a similar texture and can be used in many of the same ways.
- Halibut: Halibut is a firm and meaty fish that can be used as a substitute for Corvina in recipes where a mild flavor is desired.
Can I use frozen fish?
Fresh fish is preferred. However, if you do not have fresh, you can substitute with frozen. Thaw completely and pat dry to remove excess water.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE A PANKO CRUSTED FISH SANDWICH
Fish – Fresh, skinless and boneless (center cut) filets weighing approximately 4 to 5 ounces.
Homemade Tartar sauce – Prepare homemade tartar sauce using my recipe, or use store-bought (my recipe will make more than enough to layer on the top bun and mix with the slaw.
Creamy Coleslaw – Mix green and red cabbage (or bagged coleslaw mix) with a touch of homemade tartar sauce instead of a traditional coleslaw dressing. As an alternative, top the Panko Crusted Fish with shredded lettuce.
Spices – The fish is simply seasoned with salt and pepper, whereas the flour dredge adds onion powder and garlic powder.
Panko – Coating the fish in panko breadcrumbs will create a deliciously crunchy texture. Alternatively, traditional breadcrumbs can be used.
Brioche Bun – Brioche buns have a rich, buttery flavor and chewy texture. Potato buns, ciabatta or Challah bread would be the closest substitutes.
Peppery Arugula – Arugula adds another flavor dimension. You can leave out, or substitute with shredded lettuce.
Oil – Both canola and peanut oil have a high smoke point and are great for perfectly frying fish.
HOW TO MAKE A CRISPY PANKO CRUSTED FISH SANDWICH
Follow my step-by-step instructions to create this Easy Fish Sandwich Recipe with Crispy Panko Breading. The fish will be perfectly fried and flavorful!
Homemade Tartar Sauce:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl for the homemade tartar sauce. Mix well.
- Add a few tablespoons of the homemade tartar sauce to the coleslaw mix. Coat well.
- Place both the tartar sauce and coleslaw in the fridge while you prepare the fish.
- Heat the oil and melt the two tablespoons of butter in a deep frying pan (350° to 375°).
- Prepare the dredging station by combining the flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder in a bowl. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl. Add the panko breadcrumbs to another bowl.
- Pat the fish dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat the fish in the flour. Shake off any excess.
- Fully dip in the beaten egg, allowing any excess to drain off.
- Add the fish to the panko breadcrumbs, making sure to coat on all sides and the edges.
- Place the fish in the pan. Allow to fry until the fish is fully cooked, and crispy on all sides. Time will depend on the thickness of the fish (Approximately 6 minutes on one side and another 3 minutes on the other for a thicker cut of fish).
How to Assemble the Crunchy Panko Crusted Fish Sandwich:
- While the fish is frying, brush the melted butter on the inside of the buns. Flip and brush the top of the buns with butter and sprinkle on sesame seeds. Toast in a toaster oven or oven.
- Once the fish is fully-cooked and crunchy, allow to drain any excess oil on paper towels. Sprinkle with a touch of kosher salt.
- Build the crunchy fish sandwich by adding a layer of homemade tartar sauce and a small handful of fresh arugula to the toasty bottom bun. Place the fish. Top with the coleslaw mix and top bun.
- Serve with homemade french fries, or potato chips.
HOW TO SHALLOW FRY FISH
The oil has to be at the perfect temperature. If it’s too low, the coating will absorb too much grease. If it’s too hot, you not only run the risk of burning the panko crust, but the fish may not be fully-cooked.
This crunchy, panko-crusted fish recipe calls for a shallow fry, instead of a deep fry. Heat the oil and butter together in a deep frying pan to approximately 350° to 375°.
Deep Frying Fish
As an alternative to shallow frying the fish, feel free to deep fry. Anytime I deep fry, I always use this deep cast iron pot. Using a deep-fry thermometer is an easy way to test if the oil is hot enough.
Another simple method is to insert the tip of a wooden spoon into the oil. If bubbles surround the spoon, you are good to go. However, if the oil is bubbling against the spoon aggressively, the oil is too hot!
TIPS ON MAKING THE BEST CRUNCHY PANKO CRUSTED FISH SANDWICH
Here are some tips on how you can make this crispy, panko-crusted fish sandwich:
- For best results, use fresh fish.
- Coating the fish in seasoned flour first with help the crunchy panko breadcrumbs adhere to the fish when frying.
- Make sure the oil is at the perfect temperature (between 350° and 375°)
- If preparing homemade shoestring french fries, start deep frying them prior to frying the fish.
- Fry the fish until it’s golden brown and crispy.
- The homemade tartar sauce and coleslaw mix can be prepared ahead of time (recommended).
- As an alternative to the tartar sauce coleslaw and arugula, add lettuce and tomato toppings.
- Add cheese if you so desire.
MORE FISH AND CHIPS RECIPES
As an alternative to this easy to make crispy fish sandwich recipe, try some of my other fried and blackened fish recipes, along with fish and seafood ideas for lent:Print
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!