This Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup recipe combines the goodness of tender chicken, earthy wild rice, and fresh vegetables in a creamy, flavorful broth. With the use of rotisserie chicken, this cold weather soup is relatively quick and easy to prepare. This is one classic soup that will warm your heart, and satisfy your tastebuds on any chilly fall or winter evening.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP
Preparing this Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup is a breeze, with straightforward steps and simple ingredients, it’s a perfect comforting soup recipe for an easy weeknight meal. Here’s the step-by-step guide to making this flavorful soup:
- Prepare the Base:
- Heat olive oil and butter in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add minced carrot, celery, garlic, and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
- Coat the vegetables with flour. Cook for a few minutes to remove the raw flour taste.
- Cook the Soup:
- Pour in chicken stock, add bay leaves, thyme, and wild rice. Bring almost to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer for at least 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- Finish the Soup:
- Stir in heavy cream, diced chicken, and fresh parsley.
- Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until the chicken is warmed through, and the soup is creamy.
- Use diced rotisserie chicken for ease. Alternatively, sear and cook two chicken breasts in the pot prior to sautéing the mirepoix. Dice and reserve.
- Soften the mirepoix on medium to avoid browning or burning.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper as they sauté.
- Experiment with other fresh herbs. Rosemary would be a great addition or alternative to fresh thyme.
- Be sure to cook off the raw flour taste prior to adding the stock.
- A roux can be used instead of dusting the vegetables with flour.
- Vegetable stock can be used instead of chicken stock.
- For a lactose-free soup, use only olive oil to sauté the vegetables and replace the cream with your favorite dairy-free option.
- Medium or long-grain rice, or even orzo can be used instead of wild rice.
- Wilt spinach or other greens in the final minutes of cooking to incorporate even more vegetables.
- Do NOT forget to discard the bay leaves!
NOTE: It may seem like a lot of chicken broth. Rest assured, the rice will soak up a fair amount and you will need the extra soup stock once the chicken is added.
HOW TO SERVE AND STORE CREAMY CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP
How to Serve: Ladle the Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup into bowls. Garnish with extra parsley, freshly cracked black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
Pair This Hearty Soup With:
- Garlic Bread: A classic choice, perfect for dipping into the creamy soup.
- Mixed Green Salad: A refreshing contrast, drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette for extra flavor.
- Roasted Vegetables: Serve alongside the soup for a healthy and hearty combination.
How to Store Leftovers: If you have leftovers, store this creamy rice soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently warm it on the stove over low heat, stirring occasionally to maintain its creamy texture. Add additional stock/heavy cream as the rice will have the tendency to soak up the soup based once stored.
Freezing: This creamy chicken soup can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Thawing and Reheating: To thaw, transfer the frozen soup to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight. Reheat the soup gently on the stove over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally to maintain its creamy texture. Add additional stock or cream as needed. Avoid boiling the soup, as it can cause the cream to separate.
MORE CREAMY SOUPS TO LOVEPrint
GET TO KNOW ME!
WELCOME! My name is Melissa Latin, aka. Charlotte Fashion Plate. Happy to meet you! I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!