This Creamy Sausage Potato Soup recipe is a testament to the joy of easy home cooking. Perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends, this soup brings together basic ingredients like sausage, potatoes, and spinach, transforming them into a luscious, comforting delight. This homemade soup is sure to become a new family favorite.
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUSAGE POTATO SPINACH SOUP AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Easily, swap out the ingredients for this easy, homemade sausage and potato soup with these substitutions:
- Hot Sausage: Substitute with sweet or mild sausage to tame the heat levels. Use turkey sausage or a plant-based sausage for a healthier version of this tasty soup.
- Potatoes: If you prefer a different type of potato, you can use russet potatoes or red potatoes, instead of Yukon gold.
- Tomatoes: Canned crushed tomatoes or fresh tomatoes are great alternatives to make this creamy potato soup recipe.
- Heavy Cream: For a lighter version, substitute heavy cream with half-and-half or whole milk. For a dairy-free option, use coconut milk, almond milk or a dairy-free heavy whipping cream.
- Chicken Stock: Vegetable stock, beef stock or even water can be used as a substitute for chicken stock.
- Spinach: Kale or Swiss chard can be used instead of spinach, offering a slightly different texture and flavor.
Comparison to Zuppa Toscana
Both Creamy Sausage Potato Soup and Zuppa Toscana feature Italian sausage, potatoes, and leafy greens. Both soups are hearty and filling, making them perfect comfort foods. This Creamy Sausage Soup stands out by incorporating a generous amount of vegetables, including carrots, celery and fresh spinach.
INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE CREAMY SAUSAGE POTATO SPINACH SOUP
This creamy homemade soup combines everyday items like sausage, potatoes and spinach into a rich, indulgent comfort meal that’s simple and easy to prepare. Here’s your step-by-step creamy soup cooking guide:
- Prepare the Base: Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Remove sausage from casings and add to the pot. Break apart the sausage as it cooks.
- Add Aromatics: Once the sausage is browned and almost fully-cooked, add in minced garlic, onions, celery, and carrots. Allow to soften for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Incorporate Potatoes: Add diced potatoes to the pot. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook for another minute or two to coat the potatoes with the sausage fat.
- Thicken the Soup: Sprinkle flour over the mixture and cook off the raw flour taste for a few minutes. Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and fresh thyme. Season the tomatoes with a touch more salt.
- Simmer and Mash: Pour in chicken stock. Turn up the heat until almost boiling, then reduce to a simmer. Cook slightly covered for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Mash some of the potatoes in the soup to thicken the base.
- Creamy Goodness: Pour in the heavy cream slowly, incorporating the Parmesan cheese to avoid clumps. Add fresh baby spinach and cook for another 5 minutes until wilted.
- Serve and Garnish: Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with more freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Tips for Making this Creamy Soup:
- As a timesaver, prep the remaining ingredients for this creamy sausage potato soup as the sausage is browning.
- If you are sensitive to heat, opt for a mild or sweet sausage.
- Add a touch of crushed red pepper flakes to amp up the heat level.
- Stir occasionally as the soup is simmering to ensure the potatoes are not sticking to the bottom.
- Mash a few of the potatoes to thicken the soup.
- Slowly incorporate the Parmesan cheese to avoid clumping.
- Add the fresh spinach at the end to preserve its color and freshness.
HOW TO SERVE AND STORE SAUSAGE POTATO SOUP
This hearty, and creamy soup is a complete meal on its own. However, here are a few suggested serving options:
- Crusty Bread: A slice of warm, crusty bread is perfect for mopping up the luxurious soup.
- Side Salad: A light, crisp side salad with a tangy vinaigrette compliments the richness of the soup, beautifully.
- Garlic Breadsticks: These aromatic delights are excellent for scooping up the last traces of the creamy broth.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently on the stovetop over low heat to preserve the soup’s creamy texture and flavors.
Freezing Creamy Sausage Potato Soup is a convenient way to preserve its delicious flavors for later enjoyment. Here’s how you can do it:
- Cool the Soup: Allow the soup to cool completely at room temperature.
- Use Freezer-Safe Containers: Ladle the cooled soup into freezer-safe containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: When you’re ready to enjoy the soup, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat gently on the stovetop over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the desired temperature.
MORE SOUP RECIPES TO LOVEPrint
GET TO KNOW ME!
WELCOME! My name is Melissa Latin aka. Charlotte Fashion Plate. Happy to meet you! I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!