Believe me, I am not even exaggerating when I tell you this Homemade Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe was one of the best mushroom soups, I have ever tasted. Honestly, I love a great tasting, creamy soup that is super easy and quick to prepare. Sliced baby bella mushrooms combined with fragrant, fresh thyme and softened shallots made for the perfect spoonful of goodness. Garnishing this incredible creamy soup with crispy mushrooms added a perfect touch of nuttiness, and texture.
Of course, I created a step-by-step TikTok video showing you how to create this fabulous Mushroom Soup. Be sure to check it out in the recipe below. If you have not yet signed up for this social media platform, use my code 5SSIS800K0H06 to create an account.
BEST MUSHROOMS FOR SOUP
Food markets currently offer a wide variety of mushrooms. So, how do you know what type of mushrooms are best for Creamy Mushroom Soup?
- BUTTON MUSHROOMS are great as far as texture, but may not have as much flavor as other varieties of mushrooms.
- CREMINI OR BABY BELLA MUSHROOMS are brown in color and due to their age, have more flavor than button mushrooms. Cremini mushrooms are always a great substitute for button mushrooms, and vice-versa.
- SHIITAKE AND OYSTER MUSHROOMS can also be used for Creamy Mushroom Soup. The chewiness of these mushroom varieties will alter the texture of the soup.
Feel free to use a combination of mushrooms to create this fabulous Homemade Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe.
How to clean mushrooms
In my opinion, the best method to clean any dirt or grit from mushrooms is to use a damp paper towel, or mushroom brush. Alternatively, mushrooms can be washed in cold water, and then dried with a clean cloth. This is NOT my preferred method. However, some would agree washing mushrooms is the best way to rid them of dirt.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST HOMEMADE CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP
As mentioned above, this Mushroom Soup is super quick and easy to prepare. Here are few tips to ensure your Creamy Mushroom Soup comes out perfectly, every single time:
- to save time, purchase pre-sliced mushrooms
- if you have time, slice on your own (be consistent with knife cuts)
- allow the mushrooms to sweat down to at least half their size prior to dusting with flour
- white or yellow onion can be substituted for shallots
- substitute with vegetable stock to make a vegetarian mushroom soup
- use beef stock instead of chicken stock for a heartier soup
- once the stock has been incorporated, simmer until the soup has thickened
- half-and-half, coconut milk, sour cream and/or soy milk are great substitutes for heavy whipping cream (substitutes may alter the thickness of the soup)
- fresh thyme will impart more flavor than dried thyme
- for a creamier soup, blend prior to serving
- taste for salt throughout the cooking process
- optionally, garnish with a nice finishing oil
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP
Creamy Mushroom Soup can be enjoyed as a meal, starter or as a side dish. Here are some great ways to serve up this delicious and hearty soup:
- with a sandwich
- enjoyed with crusty bread
- serve garnished with croutons (see below how I made my cheesy puff pastry croutons)
- pair with a side salad or roasted vegetables
- enjoy a cup as a start to a meal
- pour inside a crispy puff pastry shell
How to make my cheesy puff pastry croutons
Grab a sheet of puff pastry. Cover half with shredded Gruyère cheese. Fold over. Press to seal the edges. Cut the pastry into small squares (the size of a crouton). Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the squares with an egg wash. Bake at 400° for about 15 minutes.
Mushroom soup will keep in the fridge for up to four days. Freeze in an air-tight container for up to three months.Print
LET’S GET SOCIAL!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!