These easy-to-make Blackened Salmon Lettuce Wraps are the perfect recipe when you are looking for a healthy and delicious meal. Also, these lettuce wraps are gluten-free and low-carb! Bursting with flavors and packed with protein, these salmon bites wrapped in crisp greens are as pleasing to the palate as they are to the eyes. In addition, this healthier version of a salmon taco makes for a great meal prep idea.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BLACKEN?
If you are looking to amp up any meal with big and bold flavors, a blackening seasoning blend will do the trick! Yes, blackening seasoning is spicy and it does bring a little heat, but not overpowering like other fiery seasoning blends. However, if you are looking to add a blast of heat to your dish, you can easily adjust the amount of cayenne pepper.
Although this cajun-type of seasoning is available for purchase, I highly recommend making your own. Honestly, you likely have everything to make this delicious homemade seasoning in your spice drawer. Leftover seasoning can be sealed in an airtight container and will last up to three months in your pantry.
Just to clarify, the term blackening actually refers to the cooking technique, using a cast iron pan with high heat. Cooking the protein in this manner will give it a charred crust on both sides.
Although blackened salmon works incredibly inside these lettuce wraps, any of the following blackened proteins are great substitutes/alternatives:
- ahi tuna
- white fish (ie. cod, flounder, mahi, grouper)
Air Fryer Salmon Bites
Here’s how to use the air frying to prepare these spicy salmon bites:
- preheat the air fryer to 390°
- spray the inside of the basket with non-stick spray
- place the salmon bites (may have to prepare in batches depending on the size of the air-fryer)
- air fry the salmon for about 8 to 10 minutes, flipping halfway (internal temperature should be 145° for salmon that is not sushi-grade
TIPS ON MAKING THE BEST BLACKENED SALMON LETTUCE WRAPS
- High-Quality Salmon: Start with fresh, high-quality salmon fillets. Look for wild-caught salmon for the best flavor and nutritional value.
- Perfectly Seasoned: Ensure your salmon is well-seasoned with the blackened seasoning blend. Rub the spices onto the salmon evenly, allowing them to infuse into the flesh.
- Searing Technique: When searing the salmon, use a hot skillet with a bit of olive oil. Aim for a crispy and flavorful blackened crust while keeping the inside moist and tender.
- Balanced Spice Blend: Adjust the level of heat in your blackened seasoning blend according to your taste preferences. Maintain a balance between smokiness, heat, and depth of flavor.
- Fresh Toppings: Choose fresh and ripe ingredients for your toppings. Vibrant tomatoes, diced red onions, fresh jalapeños, creamy avocado, and fragrant cilantro enhance both flavor and texture. Fresh mango salsa is also a great alternative.
- Experiment: Don’t be afraid to experiment with variations. You can try different types of lettuce (butter lettuce is a great alternative), add a drizzle of yogurt sauce or hot sauce, or incorporate other creative toppings.
- Freshness is Key: While meal prepping is convenient, for the best experience, assemble and enjoy the wraps as close to serving time as possible. This helps maintain the crispness of the lettuce and the overall freshness of the dish.
- Meal Prep: This salmon recipe is great for meal prep. Keep the lettuce and salmon bites separate until you are ready to enjoy.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BLACKENED SALMON LETTUCE WRAPS
Although these Salmon Lettuce Wraps make for a complete, protein-packed and healthy meal, here are a few serving suggestions:
- white or brown rice
- coconut rice
- sweet potato fries
- grilled corn on the cob
Drizzle with any of these tasty sauces:
How To Store Salmon Lettuce Wraps
If you plan to consume these fish lettuce wraps within a few days, store them in the refrigerator. It’s best to store the blackened salmon bites and lettuce, separately.
Reheat the salmon in the oven, or on the stovetop.Print
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!