Seriously, we all have a favorite Tuna Salad recipe, right? Have you ever tried blending canned tuna into a smooth mousse? No? Well, then you should! Believe me, you are going to love this recipe for Tuna Mousse on Crispy Wontons with Mango Pineapple Salsa. Canned tuna is blended with the perfect amount of mayo and grainy mustard to form a smooth mousse. A spoonful of jarred jalapeños is then folded into the tuna mousse for the perfect touch of heat. The mousse is then served on a crispy fried wonton and decorated with the most amazing fresh, mango pineapple salsa from Sam’s Fresh Salsa. Serve as a snack, or at your next family gathering or dinner party.
SAM’S FRESH SALSA
So, let’s talk about Sam’s Fresh Salsa. Their mission and priority has always been to “ensure consistent quality in their produce.” Sam’s award-winning fresh salsas are created using the freshest of produce.
Their Mango Pineapple Salsa combines sweet with a touch of heat for what will be your new favorite way to enjoy salsa.
Find Sam’s Fresh Salsa products at ShopRite, Acme and Safeway. For a complete list of retailers, click here! If not available in your local market, ask them to carry Sam’s Fresh Salsa products. Follow Sam’s Fresh Salsa on Facebook and Instagram!
WHAT IS TUNA MOUSSE?
Honestly, doesn’t Tuna Mousse, or Tuna Spread sound like the next best thing? However, Italians have been preparing Spuma Di Tonna as an appetizer for generations. Basically, canned or jarred tuna is pulsed in a food processor with simple ingredients to form a smooth mousse.
Traditionally, tuna mousse is served alone, with crackers, breadsticks, croutons, and/or vegetables.
Canned or jarred tuna in olive oil, drained and not rinsed, works best.
HOW TO PREPARE CRISPY FRIED WONTONS
Have you ever tried a crispy fried wonton? Surely, you have dipped a few crispy wonton strips into duck sauce while enjoying your favorite Asian takeout!
Most Asian markets carry a variety of gyoza and wonton wrappers. Search both the refrigerated and frozen section. Unused wrappers can be frozen up to three months, if stored properly.
So, for this recipe for Tuna Mousse on Crispy Wontons with Mango Pineapple Salsa, we fry up small sheets of either wonton or gyoza wrappers until they are golden brown. Honestly, this process takes less than 30 seconds. Crispy wontons were the perfect vessel to house this creamy tuna mousse and fresh, sweet and savory salsa.
Alternatively, you can substitute the fried wontons in this recipe using any of these are great alternatives:
- toasted baguette slices
- tortilla chips
- cucumber slices
- vegan wrappers (be careful as they tend to crack easily)
IMPORTANCE OF QUALITY INGREDIENTS
Honestly, the simplicity of this recipe for Tuna Mousse on Fried Wontons with Mango Pineapple Salsa begs for quality ingredients:
- high-quality canned or jarred tuna packed in olive oil (if you don’t like tuna, chicken is a great substitute)
- a great tasting mayonnaise and quality grainy mustard
- fresh mango pineapple salsa from Sam’s Fresh Salsa
- garnish with fresh cilantro and fresh avocado slices
TIPS ON PREPARING TUNA MOUSSE ON CRISPY WONTONS WITH MANGO PINEAPPLE SALSA
Here are a few tips on making this perfect canned tuna appetizer:
- use tuna packed in oil for the best flavor
- drain tuna (do NOT rinse)
- use a food processor to blend the mousse
- refrigerate the tuna mousse for at least 30 minutes prior to plating
- adjust the amount of jarred, diced jalapeños to your liking (can leave out if you desire)
- closely watch the wontons as they are frying (it only takes seconds for them to become brown and crispy…be sure to flip)
- place the wontons on paper towels to soak up any excess oil after frying
- wontons need to be cooled down prior to adding the tuna mousse
- top with the fresh mango salsa using a slotted spoon (this will ensure the wontons do not become soggy)
- garnish with fresh ingredients (cilantro and avocado)
- both the tuna mousse and crispy wontons can be prepared well in advance
LEFTOVERS AND STORAGE
Store leftover tuna mousse in an airtight container. Place in fridge for up to three days. Freezing is NOT recommended. Crispy fried wontons can be place in a sealable bag for up to a week.Print
Tuna Mousse on Crispy Wontons with Mango Pineapple Salsa
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings 1x
Seriously, we all have a favorite Tuna Salad recipe, right? Have you ever tried blending canned tuna into a smooth mousse? No? Well, then you should! Believe me, you are going to love this recipe for Tuna Mousse on Crispy Wontons with Mango Pineapple Salsa. Canned tuna is blended with the perfect amount of mayo and grainy mustard to form a smooth mousse. A spoonful of jarred jalapeños is then folded into the tuna mousse for the perfect touch of heat.
The mousse is then served on a crispy fried wonton and decorated with the most amazing fresh, mango pineapple salsa from Sam’s Fresh Salsa. Serve as a snack, or at your next family gathering or dinner party.
- 2 cans tuna packed in oil
- 8 to 10 wonton or gyoza wrappers
- 4 to 6 ounces Sam’s Fresh Mango Pineapple Salsa
- oil for frying
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons jarred jalapeños (diced)
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped cilantro
- lime wedges, for serving
- Drain tuna. Do NOT rinse.
- Add tuna to a food processor with mayo, mustard and black pepper.
- Pulse into a smooth mousse.
- Place tuna mousse in a bowl. Fold in jarred jalapeños.
- Cover and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan for frying.
- Place individual gyoza or wonton wrappers in hot oil. Crisp up on both sides (this will only take seconds).
- Lay fried wontons on paper towels to drain excess grease. Allow to cool down.
- Place fried wonton crisps onto a platter.
- Add tuna mousse inside of a pastry bag.
- Pipe approximately one tablespoon of tuna mixture onto each crisp wonton.
- Top each with a spoonful of Sam’s Fresh Mango Pineapple Salsa.
- Garnish each with fresh avocado slices and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.
- tuna mousse can be prepared well ahead of time and stored in fridge
- crisp wontons can also be made ahead of time
- this recipe makes enough tuna mousse for 8 to 10 generous servings
- plan on one serving per guest as an appetizer (maybe two)
- see post for additional notes and tips
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: how to make tuna mousse, what is tuna mousse, canned tuna appetizer ideas, appetizer ideas, easy appetizer ideas, canned tuna recipes, canned tuna packed in oil recipes, tuna salad recipes, sweet and savory appetizer ideas
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!
No comment yet, add your voice below!