Tell me, are you in the mood for Egg Salad that will awaken your taste buds with a delightful burst of flavor? If so, then you are going to love this Spicy Homemade Egg Salad recipe. This fusion of flavors takes the classic egg salad and elevates it to a whole new level. Whether you’re a spice enthusiast or just looking to add some zest to your meal, this recipe is a great twist on a classic egg dish.
One aspect of this recipe you are going to love is that it requires little to no prep. Once the eggs have been hard boiled and chopped, it’s just a matter of combing the ingredients. Also, this homemade egg salad recipe is not only great for lunch or a light dinner, but works perfectly for meal prepping! If you love this egg recipe, check out my recipe for Grated Egg Salad.
BEST METHOD FOR HARD BOILING EGGS
Seriously, ask around and you may find everyone has a slightly different technique for hard boiling eggs. Here’s how I hard boil eggs:
- place eggs in a pot and fill with cold water to about 1″ above the eggs
- add in a teaspoon of salt
- bring to a boil and place lid
- remove from heat
- for jammy eggs, set timer for 6 to 7 minutes
- for firmer eggs, 8 to 10 minutes
PERFECTLY PEELED HARD BOILED EGGS
Some say use older eggs as opposed to “fresher” eggs. Maybe, maybe not. In my opinion, peeling a hard boiled egg perfectly, is all about technique!
Do you find that every time you peel a hard boiled egg, the shell manages to destroy the white part of the egg? If so, try submerging the cooked eggs into a cold ice bath. Allow the eggs to sit in the cold water for a few minutes. Peel under cold, running water. Ultimately, the eggshell should peel away, perfectly. Well, most of the time!
The creaminess of the eggs and Kewpie mayo, the heat from the Sriracha and jalapeños, and the vibrancy of the mustard microgreens all come together perfectly in this kicked up egg salad recipe!
Eggs: Eggs are the heart of this recipe, providing a rich and creamy base. Hard-boiled eggs are chopped into bite-sized pieces, creating a delightful texture that holds the flavors of the other ingredients. Eggs are a fantastic source of high-quality protein and essential nutrients like vitamins B12 and D, making this salad not only delicious but also nutritious.
Mayo: Since being introduced to Kewpie mayo, I can honestly say it’s my favorite mayonnaise to use in both Tuna Salad and Egg Salad. This Japanese brand of mayonnaise has gained popularity internationally for its unique flavor and creamy texture.
Sriracha Sauce: The addition of Sriracha sauce brings an exciting kick of heat to the egg salad. Sriracha’s unique blend of spiciness and tanginess adds layers of flavor to the dish, creating a perfect balance with the creaminess of the eggs. Adjust the amount to your liking!
Jarred Diced Jalapeños: These small yet mighty ingredients are responsible for the fiery element in this egg salad recipe. Diced jalapeños provide a burst of intense heat, while also adding a subtle pepper flavor. Alternatively, use diced, fresh jalapeños.
Avocado: Although optional, adding sliced avocado as an element when serving this Spicy Homemade Egg Salad not only brings a creamy and buttery texture but also offers a cooling contrast to the spiciness. Avocado is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, vitamins E and K, and dietary fiber.
Microgreens: Microgreens are a delightful and nutritious addition, providing a burst of color and freshness to the dish. These young and tender greens are harvested early, making them incredibly nutrient-dense. Microgreens can vary in flavor from peppery to earthy, to mustardy.
Mustard: The microgreens used in this recipe were mustard greens. So, I there was no need to add mustard to the egg salad. However, feel free to a teaspoon or two of your favorite grainy mustard.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS SPICY HOMEMADE EGG SALAD!
- Bold Flavors: If you’re a fan of bold flavors, this egg salad won’t disappoint. The combination of Sriracha and jalapeños creates a harmonious blend of heat and depth that’s incredibly satisfying.
- Versatile: Serve this egg salad in various ways – on a bed of fresh greens, as a sandwich filling, or even as a dip with your favorite crackers.
- Quick and Easy: With minimal prep and cooking time, this recipe is perfect for busy days when you’re craving something delicious without the fuss.
- Customizable Heat: You have full control over the spiciness level. Adjust the Sriracha and jalapeños to your liking, making it mild or extra hot.
- Impressive Presentation: The vibrant colors of the salad and the microgreen garnish make it visually appealing, whether you’re serving it at a casual lunch or a summer picnic.
HOW TO SERVE SPICY HOMEMADE EGG SALAD
So, how do you serve and enjoy this delicious, Spicy Homemade Egg Salad? Here are a few ideas, including the option of serving it on whole grain toast with avocado and microgreens like I did:
- Spicy Egg Salad Sandwich with Avocado and Microgreens: Top whole grain toast with thin slices of avocado then spread a generous layer of the Spicy Homemade Egg Salad on top. Garnish with fresh microgreens and a sprinkle of flaky salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps: Skip the bread and serve the Spicy Homemade Egg Salad in large lettuce leaves. Add a few slices of avocado and a handful of microgreens for extra freshness and crunch. Roll up the leaves to create delicious and low-carb lettuce wraps.
- Egg Salad Stuffed Tomatoes: Hollow out ripe tomatoes and fill them with the Spicy Egg Salad. Top each tomato with sliced avocado and a sprinkle of microgreens. It’s a colorful and refreshing way to enjoy your egg salad.
- Spicy Egg Salad Bowl: Create a nourishing bowl by placing a bed of mixed greens or quinoa in a bowl. Add a generous scoop of the Spicy Homemade Egg Salad in the center. Arrange slices of avocado and a handful of microgreens around the egg salad. Drizzle with your favorite dressing for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Avocado Boat Egg Salad: Halve an avocado and remove the pit. Fill the cavity with the Spicy Egg Salad, allowing it to overflow slightly. Garnish with microgreens and a drizzle of Sriracha if you want an extra kick.
- Spicy Egg Salad Wrap: Spread the Spicy Egg Salad onto a whole grain tortilla. Layer slices of avocado and a handful of microgreens on top. Roll up the tortilla tightly to create a flavorful wrap that’s perfect for on-the-go lunches.
HOW TO STORE EGG SALAD
Egg salad should be stored in the refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth and maintain its quality. Place the egg salad in an airtight container and consume within 3 to 4 days.
Due to the presence of mayonnaise, freezing egg salad is not recommended. Freezing can alter the texture and lead to separation once thawed.Print
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!