Beef Stroganoff, a timeless dish that has transcended borders. Originating from Russia, this comfort food recipe offers a perfect blend of tender beef slices, earthy mushrooms, and a luscious, creamy sauce. This Simple Classic Beef Stroganoff brings back memories of my childhood. In contrast to the times when my mom used tougher beef cuts to prepare this classic dish, I’ve elevated the recipe in my kitchen by opting for tender prime filet.
LET’S TALK BEEF
Using tender cuts of beef, such as filet or ribeye, simplifies the preparation of this Beef Stroganoff recipe due to their natural tenderness.
Unlike tougher cuts, tender meats require minimal cook time to reach the desired tenderness. A quick sear in the initial steps of the recipe, is all you need.
If you prefer a more budget-friendly beef, or want to use a tougher cut of beef for Beef Stroganoff, you can absolutely do so. However, a simple sear will not do. Cook the tougher cut of beef, low and slow in the simmering sauce, to help tenderize the meat.
INGREDIENTS FOR BEEF STROGANOFF
- Beef: Substitute the filet or ribeye with sirloin, flank steak, round steak or stewing beef. If using one of these tougher cuts, simmer the meat in the sauce after searing. For a vegetarian stroganoff, consider using portobello mushrooms or tofu.
- Mushrooms: Easily substitute cremini or button mushrooms with shiitake, portobello, or oyster mushrooms. You can also use a combination of different mushrooms for a more complex flavor profile.
- Yellow Onion: White onion or shallots are great alternatives.
- All-Purpose Flour: Use cornstarch (for gluten-free option) or rice flour.
- Beef Stock: Vegetable stock (for a vegetarian version) or mushroom stock.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Substitute with soy sauce (for a vegetarian alternative), tamari sauce (gluten-free), or balsamic vinegar for a tangy twist.
- Dijon Mustard: Stoneground, yellow mustard or honey mustard can be used instead.
INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE CLASSIC BEEF STROGANOFF
This easy, homemade beef stroganoff is quick to prepare, using readily available ingredients. Follow these simple steps:
- Prepare the Steak:
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Season the steak slices with salt and black pepper.
- Quickly sear the steak in batches, ensuring not to overcook. Transfer seared steak to a plate and set aside.
- Cook Mushrooms and Onions:
- Lower the heat and melt butter in the same pan.
- Add minced or thinly sliced onions; cook until softened and slightly caramelized.
- Add sliced mushrooms; sauté briefly until coated in the fat.
- Thicken the Sauce:
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and onions, stirring to coat evenly.
- Cook for a few minutes to eliminate the raw flour taste.
- Pour in beef stock, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken.
- Add Flavor and Creaminess:
- Mix in Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard, stirring well.
- Gently add sour cream, stirring quickly to incorporate without breaking the sour cream.
- Return the seared beef slices to the pan; heat through in the sauce.
- Finish and Serve:
- Sprinkle fresh chopped parsley over the stroganoff.
- Serve the delicious beef stroganoff over your choice of buttered egg noodles, creamy mashed potatoes, or rice.
HOW TO SERVE AND STORE CLASSIC BEEF STROGANOFF
Serve this classic comfort dish:
- Over buttered egg noodles, allowing them to soak up the delicious sauce.
- Pair with creamy mashed potatoes for a hearty and comforting meal.
- Spoon the stroganoff over steamed rice.
- Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat leftover stroganoff gently over low heat, adding a splash of beef stock, if needed.
MORE CLASSIC RECIPES TO LOVE
- Homemade Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper
- Swedish Meatballs
- Hearty Crockpot Beef Stew
- Meatloaf Meatballs with Onion-Ketchup Gravy
GET TO KNOW ME!
WELCOME! My name is Melissa Latin aka. Charlotte Fashion Plate. Happy to meet you! I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!!