This Italian Sausage Orecchiette Soup recipe is a go-to for its simplicity, and bold Italian flavors. Loaded with spicy sausage, fresh spinach and a kick of Parmesan cheese, this savory soup is guaranteed to warm you up on chilly nights without keeping you tied to the kitchen for hours.
It’s a timesaving, one-pot soup recipe that doesn’t compromise on taste, making it perfect for busy weeknights or whenever a quick, hearty meal is needed. Seriously, this homemade pasta soup can be on your dinner table in about 20 minutes!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Hot Italian Sausage: Easily replace with sweet, or mild Italian sausage. Use turkey or chicken Italian sausage for a lighter option. For a vegetarian version, replace the sausage with crumbled tempeh or firm tofu seasoned with Italian spices like fennel, paprika, and crushed red pepper.
- Passata: If passata is unavailable, blend canned whole tomatoes until smooth. Alternatively, use tomato sauce for a slightly different flavor profile.
- Chicken Stock: Replace chicken stock with vegetable stock or broth for a vegetarian option.
- Orecchiette Pasta: If orecchiette pasta isn’t available, substitute with small pasta shapes like shells or elbows. Gluten-free or whole wheat pasta can be used for dietary preferences.
How to Make Sausage Orecchiette Soup
With just a few easy steps and minimal time, you can indulge in a bowl of this Italian Sausage Orecchiette Soup:
- Heat a deep pot over medium heat. Remove the sausage from the casing and add it to the pot. Break it apart as it browns.
- Once the sausage is almost fully cooked, add the minced onions and garlic. Cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in the passata, season with salt and pepper, then add the chicken stock. Increase the heat to nearly a boil.
- Add the orecchiette pasta, stirring well. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Loosely cover the pot and allow the pasta to cook to just al dente, about 8 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- When the pasta is almost al dente, add the fresh spinach and Parmesan cheese. Stir well and cook for another minute to let the spinach wilt.
How to Serve and Store Pasta Soup
This hearty pasta soup is best served immediately. Ladle into individual bowls. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Optionally, garnish with fresh herbs. Basil and/or parsley would be great additions.
Serve this easy homemade soup with crusty bread, garlic knots, a side salad, or a grilled cheese for a heartier meal.
Once cooled, store the orecchiette soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Reheat leftovers gently on the stove or in the microwave. The flavors often intensify, making it even more delicious the next day. If the soup thickens, add a splash of chicken stock while reheating to maintain its consistency.
Alternatively, freeze this Italian Sausage Orecchiette Soup for up to 2 months. NOTE: The consistency of the pasta may change upon freezing and thawing.
More Soup to Love
- Creamy Sausage Potato Soup
- Sausage Cheese Tortellini Soup
- One-Pot Pasta Fagioli
- Easy Crockpot Lentil Soup
GET TO KNOW ME!
WELCOME! My name is Melissa Latin aka. Charlotte Fashion Plate. Happy to meet you! I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!