This Creamy Spinach Salmon Wellington is a gourmet dish, that is surprisingly, easy to prepare. Imagine tender salmon, wrapped in a golden puff pastry with a creamy spinach and cheese surprise inside. It’s the kind of salmon dish that makes you look like a kitchen pro, with minimal effort. Easily, prep this elegant salmon recipe ahead of time and bake when you are ready!
If you love this variation of a Salmon En Croute recipe, you must try my Easy Individual Beef Wellington!
How to Choose the Perfect Salmon Filet
Salmon provides a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which promotes heart health, reduces inflammation, supports cognitive function, along with many other health benefits.
Typically, Faroe Island salmon is my go-to when creating salmon recipes. This type of salmon is farm-raised. However, it is raised in a contained area of the salmon’s natural habitat. The fat lines in this salmon make it difficult to overcook, and become dry.
If you are looking for a sustainable, wild-caught salmon alternative, King (Chinook) salmon is a great substitute. Sockeye salmon has a rich flavor and texture and is another great alternative.
- Arctic char
- Steelhead Salmon
Given the richness of this Wellington dish, opt for a smaller portion of salmon.
- Salmon: Cod or halibut would be great alternatives.
- Puff Pastry: Use refrigerated or frozen puff pastry. Be sure to properly thaw and allow extra time if using frozen. Easily substitute with phyllo dough.
- Baby Spinach: Fresh is best, but you can substitute with frozen spinach. Thaw properly and squeeze out excess water. Swiss chard or kale can be substituted for a heartier green.
- Shallot: Red or yellow onion can be used for a slightly different onion flavor. Caramelize the shallots for a sweeter touch.
- Whipped Cream Cheese: Use softened, regular cream cheese as an alternative.
- Parmesan Cheese: Easily substitute with Pecorino Romano for a sharper flavor, or Gruyère for a nutty undertone.
- Egg Wash: Milk or heavy cream can be used instead.
- Herbs: Add fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme or dill) to the spinach mixture.
- Sesame Seeds: Top the egg washed puff pastry with sesame seeds for another level of nuttiness.
How to Prepare Salmon Wellington
The preparation of this gourmet salmon dinner unfolds effortlessly:
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- In a pan, heat the olive oil. Add the spinach, garlic and shallots, Sauté until just the spinach is just wilted.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Add in the cream cheese, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Mix well. Set aside.
- Season the salmon filets on both sides with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Cut the puff pastry sheet in half, so you have to vertical pieces.
- Place a salmon filet in the middle of one of the sheets.
- Top with a generous spoonful of the spinach mixture.
- Fold the pastry over the salmon, trim the edges and tuck remaining edges under. Repeat for the second piece of salmon.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut slits in the pastry for venting.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and water. Brush onto the entire pastry surface.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, and salmon reaches an internal temperature of 125°F (52°C).
How to Serve and Store Creamy Spinach Salmon Wellington
Serve this Creamy Spinach Salmon Wellington as the centerpiece of dinner. Simply pair with any of the following:
- Almond rice pilaf
- a crisp salad
- steamed or roasted vegetables
- roasted baby potatoes
Leftovers: To store leftovers, wrap individual portions of the puff pastry encrusted salmon in aluminum foil. Refrigerate for up to two days.
- For longer storage, freeze the Wellington in an airtight container.
- Reheat in the oven at 350°F until warmed through.
More Creamy Salmon Recipes to Love
- Phyllo Wrapped Spinach Salmon
- Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Salmon with Roasted Potatoes
- Creamy Lobster Pot Pie
- Salmon with Lobster Newburg
GET TO KNOW ME!
WELCOME! My name is Melissa Latin aka. Charlotte Fashion Plate. Happy to meet you! I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
In addition, I’m so very excited to announce I have published my first e-book and paperback, “Mastering Thanksgiving – A Guide to Perfecting Your Thanksgiving Dinner.” Your support would mean the world to me.
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!