Spicy Pickled Strawberries combine the vibrant flavors of sweet and tangy strawberries with a fiery kick from fresh sliced jalapeño. Pickling creates a unique and tantalizing taste experience. Whether you’re looking to enhance your charcuterie board, add a zesty element to salads, or experiment with unconventional flavor pairings, these quick pickled strawberries are a perfect choice. Pickled Strawberries are a delightful condiment.
BENEFITS OF SPICY PICKLED STRAWBERRIES
By pickling strawberries, you can extend their shelf life and enjoy their nutritional benefits for a more extended period. Additionally, the pickling process introduces probiotics, which can promote a healthy gut and aid digestion.
Bursting with Flavor: Spicy Pickled Strawberries offer a harmonious blend of sweet, sour, and spicy flavors, creating a taste explosion in every bite. The tanginess of the pickling brine compliments the natural sweetness of the strawberries, while the spicy notes add an exciting twist to the overall profile.
Versatility: These pickled strawberries can be used in various culinary creations. They make an excellent addition to cheese boards, providing a refreshing and unexpected contrast to rich and creamy cheeses. You can also incorporate them into salads, salsas, or even use them as a topping for grilled meats.
Health Boost: Strawberries are a great source of vitamins, antioxidants and dietary fiber.
INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS FOR SPICY PICKLED STRAWBERRIES
Spices: The choice of spices will determine the level and type of heat in your pickled strawberries. Experiment with different combinations such as red pepper flakes, ginger, cinnamon, or even star anise to create unique flavor profiles that suit your palate.
Vinegar: While white balsamic vinegar is used in this recipe, you can explore other vinegar options to add complexity to your pickled strawberries. Apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, or even rice vinegar can infuse distinct flavors into the final product. Do NOT substitute with traditional balsamic. Each vinegar choice will result in a slightly different taste.
Sweetness: Balancing the sweetness and tanginess is crucial for achieving the perfect pickled strawberry. Depending on personal preference, you can adjust the amount of maple syrup to your liking. Sugar, Honey and/or agave syrup can be used as alternatives to the maple syrup.
HOW TO PREPARE PICKLED STRAWBERRIES
When it comes to preparing Spicy Pickled Strawberries, the process is relatively straightforward. First, you’ll need to gather your ingredients, including fresh, ripe strawberries from your local farmers market, balsamic vinegar, a fresh jalapeño, maple syrup and black peppercorns. The strawberries should be washed, hulled and cut in half.
Prepare the pickling brine by combining white balsamic vinegar, water, maple syrup and salt. Heat the mixture to just under a boil, allowing the salt to dissolve and the flavors to meld together. Taste the brine as it simmers and adjust the levels of sweetness to suit your preference.
Once the brine is ready, it’s time to add the strawberries, sliced jalapeños and black peppercorns to a clean, sterilized jar. A canning jar, or jars work great. For this recipe, use a 1-quart jar, or two pint jars. If using another type of jar, be sure it’s a heatproof jar.
Fit snugly without being too tightly packed. Carefully pour the hot brine over the strawberries, ensuring they are completely submerged. Leave a small headspace at the top of each jar to allow for expansion during the pickling process.
Seal the jars tightly and cool to room temperature before placing in the fridge. Quick Pickled Strawberries can be enjoyed within an hour after placing in fridge. However, the longer the pickling time, the more pronounced the flavors will become.
CULINARY APPLICATIONS OF SPICY PICKLED STRAWBERRIES
Spicy Pickled Strawberries are a delightful and versatile condiment that adds a bold twist to the traditional concept of pickled fruits. By infusing strawberries with a tangy, spicy brine, you can unlock a whole new world of flavor possibilities. Whether you’re an adventurous foodie or simply looking to impress your guests with an unexpected culinary creation, these pickled strawberries are sure to deliver a memorable experience:
- Charcuterie and Cheese Boards: Elevate your charcuterie or cheese board with the addition of spicy pickled strawberries. The bright, tangy flavor will complement the richness of cured meats and cheeses, creating a delectable contrast that will impress your guests.
- Salads: Add a touch of zest to your salads by tossing in a few pickled strawberries. The combination of crisp greens, pickled strawberries, and a tangy vinaigrette creates a refreshing and unique salad experience.
- Cocktails and Mocktails: Spicy pickled strawberries can serve as a vibrant garnish for your favorite cocktails or mocktails. The sweet and spicy flavors will infuse into the drink, enhancing the overall taste and visual appeal.
- Grilled Meats: Use spicy pickled strawberries as a topping for grilled meats such as chicken, pork, or even burgers. The tangy and spicy elements will cut through the richness of the meat, adding a burst of flavor to each bite.
WHAT HAPPENS TO THE STRAWBERRIES AS THEY PICKLE?
As the strawberries pickle, they will undergo a transformation, absorbing the tangy brine and infusing it with their natural sweetness. The spicy notes will gradually infuse into the fruit, creating a delightful balance of flavors. The resulting pickled strawberries can be enjoyed immediately, but they will continue to develop in taste and texture over time.
STORING AND SHELF LIFE OF SPICY PICKLED STRAWBERRIES
After you’ve made a batch of Spicy Pickled Strawberries, it’s important to store them properly to maintain their flavor and quality.
- Storage Containers: Transfer the cooled jars to the refrigerator for storage. Mason jars or any airtight containers with secure lids work well for this purpose. Ensure that the containers are clean and sterile to prevent any unwanted bacteria growth.
- Refrigeration: Spicy pickled strawberries should always be stored in the refrigerator.
- Shelf Life: When stored properly in the refrigerator, spicy pickled strawberries can typically last for several weeks to a few months. However, it’s important to note that the quality and taste may gradually change over time. Initially, the strawberries will have a firm texture and a vibrant flavor profile. As time goes on, the flavors will continue to meld, and the strawberries may become softer.
- Flavor Development: The pickled strawberries will undergo a flavor transformation as they sit in the refrigerator. Initially, they may have a stronger tangy and spicy taste, but over time, the flavors will mellow and blend together more harmoniously.
- Taste Testing: It’s a good practice to periodically taste the pickled strawberries as they age. This will allow you to gauge their flavor progression and determine the optimal time for consuming them.
- Visual Inspection: Before consuming pickled strawberries, visually inspect them for any signs of spoilage. Look for any discoloration, mold growth, or unpleasant odors. If you notice any of these signs, it’s best to discard the batch immediately.
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!