Whether you’re planning a summer barbecue, a picnic in the park, or a relaxed dinner at home, this Olive Oil Potato Salad is an ideal choice. Its mayo-free goodness, vibrant flavors, and adaptability to different serving temperatures make it a standout dish for the season. As the salad sits, the flavors meld together, resulting in a harmonious combination of textures and tastes. Unlike traditional Potato Salads that are typically chilled, this recipe is best enjoyed warm or at room temperature.
WHY POTATO WITHOUT MAYO?
When it comes to potato salads, the traditional creamy dressing often relies heavily on mayonnaise. While mayo certainly has its place, this Olive Oil Potato Salad takes a different approach, offering a lighter and healthier alternative. By substituting mayo with extra-virgin olive oil, the saturated fat content is reduced, without compromising flavor.
This easy Potato Salad recipe is a must-try for salad enthusiasts and potato lovers alike.
A summertime staple is excellent for potlucks, picnics, or outdoor gatherings, as it can be prepared in advance and maintains its deliciousness throughout the event. The absence of mayo also ensures food safety, allowing guests to indulge without worry.
WHAT MAKES THIS POTATO SALAD A PERFECT SUMMER SIDE DISH?
- Mayo-Free Delight: Say goodbye to heavy, mayo-laden potato salads. This recipe focuses on the natural flavors of the ingredients, allowing the potatoes and seasonings to shine.
- Light and Fresh: With a lighter dressing, this Olive Oil Potato Salad won’t weigh you down on hot summer days. It’s a refreshing and satisfying option that still delivers on taste.
- Versatile Serving Options: This salad can be enjoyed warm, or at room temperature, making it a versatile option for outdoor gatherings or potlucks.
- Potluck Winner: Since this Potato Salad doesn’t contain mayo, there’s no need to worry about it sitting out during a summer party. It remains delicious and safe to serve throughout the event.
- Pairing Perfection: The flavors in this potato salad complement a wide range of summer dishes, including grilled meats, fresh seafood, and vibrant vegetable platters.
INGREDIENTS FOR OLIVE OIL POTATO SALAD
- Potatoes: Yukon gold or red potatoes work best in this salad recipe. Use peeled or unpeeled potatoes, cut into cubes.
- Olive oil: Choose a good-quality olive oil as this is the main condiment.
- Seasonings and Spices: Although this Potato Salad is simply seasoned with paprika, salt and pepper, feel free to add your own blend of spices.
- Onions: Minced white onion can be substituted for red onion.
- Herbs: Add dill or your favorite herbs.
For a refreshing twist, add a squeeze of lemon!
HOW TO SERVE OLIVE OIL POTATO SALAD
The Olive Oil Potato Salad is incredibly versatile and pairs well with a variety of main dishes. Consider serving it alongside:
- grilled meats, such as chicken, steak, or seafood
- vegetarian options like grilled vegetables or a medley of roasted seasonal produce
- a larger spread, accompanied by crusty bread or a selection of artisanal cheeses.
STORAGE AND LEFTOVERS
Proper storage is key to maintaining the freshness and quality of your Olive Oil Potato Salad. To ensure its deliciousness even after preparation, follow these simple guidelines:
- Refrigeration: If you have leftovers or plan to make the salad in advance, store it in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. The chilled environment helps preserve the flavors and keeps the ingredients fresh. Make sure the salad is properly cooled before refrigeration to avoid any condensation that can affect the texture.
- Consume within a Few Days: While the Olive Oil Potato Salad can be refrigerated, it’s best to consume it within two to three days for optimal taste and texture. As time passes, the potatoes may start to lose their firmness, and the flavors might diminish.
- Stir Before Serving: Before serving the refrigerated salad, allow to come to room temperature. Give it a gentle stir to redistribute the dressing and ensure all the flavors are well combined.
- Adjust Seasonings, if Needed: If you find that the flavors have mellowed or need a little extra kick after refrigeration, feel free to adjust the seasonings accordingly. Add a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lemon juice, or a sprinkle of fresh herbs to revitalize the taste and elevate the salad.
- Avoid Freezing: Due to the nature of potatoes, freezing the Olive Oil Potato Salad is not recommended. Potatoes have a high water content, and freezing can cause them to become mushy.
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!