Banana bread is a beloved classic, but what if I told you that you can enjoy it in a healthier version (not completely guilt-free) without sacrificing taste? This Healthier Banana Bread Cake recipe combines the goodness of bananas with wholesome ingredients to create a delight that’s perfect for any time of the day. Total credit for this amazing banana bread recipe goes to Ilmee Mintz. She is devoted to teaching people how to maintain weight and live a healthier, happier lifestyle.
Honestly, as soon as I laid my eyes on her banana cake, I knew I had to try. If I am being honest, my first attempt did not go as planned. Totally my fault. However, after recognizing what I had done wrong, and with a little tweaking, this homemade banana cake was perfect!
WHY MAKE THIS BANANA BREAD CAKE
- Healthier Choice: This Banana Bread Cake uses oat flour and whole wheat flour, making it a healthier alternative to traditional banana bread. Almond flour is a great substitute for both the oats and wheat flour to make this a gluten-free banana bread.
- Nutrient-Rich Ingredients: This Healthier Banana Bread Cake is packed with nutrient-rich ingredients like oats, bananas, and yogurt. Oats provide fiber and essential vitamins, bananas offer potassium, and yogurt adds probiotics for gut health.
- Family-Friendly: It’s a family-friendly recipe that appeals to both kids and adults. You can involve your children in the baking process, making it a fun and educational activity.
- Reduced Sugar: By using less sugar or sugar substitutes, you can control the sweetness level while still enjoying the delicious banana flavor.
- Budget-Friendly: The ingredients for this cake are budget-friendly and easily accessible, making it an affordable option for homemade treats.
- Longer Shelf Life: Due to its moist texture, this Banana Bread Cake has a longer shelf life compared to some other baked goods, so you can savor it for days.
- Customizable: You can customize the recipe by adding nuts, dried fruits, or seeds for extra flavor and texture, catering to your personal preferences.
- Sustainable Choice: Using overripe bananas reduces food waste and makes this recipe an eco-conscious choice.
- Heart-Healthy: Oats and whole wheat flour contribute to heart health by reducing cholesterol levels, making this cake a heart-healthy dessert option.
- Balanced Breakfast: Pair a slice of this cake with a protein source like Greek yogurt or nut butter for a balanced and filling breakfast.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE HOMEMADE BANANA BREAD CAKE
- Bananas – Use very ripe bananas.
- Oats – Oats are processed into oat flour for this banana cake recipe.
- Wheat flour – Wheat flour adds some bulk. However, if you want to make this a gluten-free banana bread, substitute the wheat flour with additional oats, or a gluten-free, all-purpose flour. Almond flour would also be a great low-carb alternative.
- Greek yogurt – This recipe calls for a whole milk Greek Yogurt. Substitute with non-fat, low-fat or dairy-free Greek yogurt (be sure to check the sugar if using a substitute), sour cream, plain yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Sugar – Replace granulated with a sugar-free substitute, or honey.
- Egg – Applesauce or additional mashed bananas would be great substitutes.
- Chocolate chips – Feel free to eliminate. May also add your favorite chopped nuts and/or dried fruit.
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHIER BANANA BREAD
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 6″x3″ cake pan with crumbled parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt and baking soda. Set aside to “fluff” as you are preparing the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl or plate, mash the ripe bananas and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the oats, wheat flour, baking powder and salt together to form a coarse flour.
- Transfer dry ingredients to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds, then add to the food processor with the sugar. Blend to cream together. Add in the egg and vanilla. Blend.
- Add in the smashed bananas. Pulse to combine the wet ingredients.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix together with a spatula.
- Pour in the wet ingredients. Mix to form a batter.
- In a small bowl, add the chocolate chips and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the pan to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan.
- Lift out using the parchment paper.
- Cut and ENJOY!
HOW TO SERVE AND STORE BANANA BREAD CAKE LEFTOVERS
You don’t necessarily have to refrigerate leftovers of this Healthier Banana Bread Cake. However, it will depend on how quickly you plan to consume it. If left on the counter and sealed tightly with wrap, consume within 2 days. In the fridge, this banana cake will last up to 7 days.
If you happen to have any leftovers and want to repurpose them, here are some great ideas:
- French Toast: Slice and use the leftover cake to make a delicious banana bread French toast.
- Ice Cream Topping: Warm a slice and serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Smoothie: Blend a slice with some milk or yogurt for a tasty banana bread smoothie.
- Snack on the Go: Take a slice as a quick and healthy snack during your busy day.
- Freezes Well: If you can’t finish it all, this cake freezes beautifully. Slice it, wrap it well, and store it in the freezer for future enjoyment.
MORE BANANA RECIPES TO LOVEPrint
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!