To be honest, I am not sure what I liked most about this vegetarian recipe for Crispy Fried Artichokes with Lemon Aioli. The fried artichoke hearts were super crispy, and the lemon aioli was out of this world! Use canned, quartered artichoke hearts for ease of preparation. If you are not feeling a deep fry, check out my tips for making Air Fryer Crispy Artichokes.
Naturally, I created a short TikTok video preparing this incredibly tasty artichoke appetizer. Be sure to watch down below in the recipe. If you have not yet signed up for this social media platform, use my code 5SSIS800K0H06 to create an account.
What do artichokes taste like?
Never let the “look” of any food sway you from giving it a try. Artichokes are one of those vegetables that tend to mystify. In fact, artichokes are full of vitamins, nutrients and are rich in dietary fiber and antioxidants.
Honestly, artichokes (on their on), are quite tasteless. Steaming and grilling artichokes tends to be the two most popular way to enjoy them. However, one can definitely eat them raw.
Cooked artichokes have a slight sweet flavor, and soft texture.
Tips on making the best Fried Artichokes
Frying artichokes has become quite popular in the past several years. Seriously, search Fried Artichoke recipes on TikTok. I can assure, you will not be at a loss for tasty and interesting ways to fry up these beauties.
For ease of this simple appetizer recipe for Fried Artichokes with Lemon Aioli, I suggest using canned, quartered artichokes.
However, if you want to tackle the prep involved in cleaning fresh artichokes, check out my recipe for Grilled Artichokes.
Here are a few more tips to ensure crispy artichokes:
- rinse the artichokes well
- be sure the oil is hot enough (350° to 375°)
- substitute cornstarch for rice flour (don’t skip this ingredient for super crunchiness)
- fry in batches, if necessary
- salt immediately out of the fry
Air fryer artichokes
If you are looking to cut back on the calories from deep frying artichokes, prepare in an air fryer. Follow these simple steps:
- preheat the air fryer to 390°
- drain the canned artichokes and pat dry
- do NOT use flour
- coat the artichokes in olive oil and your favorite blend of spices (add grated Parmesan cheese if you wish)
- air fry in five minute intervals (tossing) until they are browned and crispy
- prepare the simple lemon aioli ahead of time to allow the flavors to develop
- use a food processor or immersion blender to create a creamy texture
- substitute the mayo with vegan mayo to make this a vegan lemon aioli
- aioli is best served at room temperature
STORING LEFTOVER FRIED ARTICHOKES AND LEMON AIOLI
These crispy artichoke appetizers can be wrapped in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and stored in the fridge for up to three days. To reheat, place the artichokes in a 400° oven or an air fryer at 390°, for a few minutes. Freezing is NOT recommended.
The Lemon Aioli sauce should be stored in an airtight container and will last up to a week in the fridge. Bring the aioli to room temperature prior to serving.Print
Crispy Fried Artichokes with Lemon Aioli
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
These crispy fried artichoke hearts are super crispy, and the Lemon Aioli is out of this world! Use canned, quartered artichoke hearts for ease of preparation. If you are not feeling a deep fry, check out my tips for making these Crispy Fried Artichokes in the air fryer!
- 2 cans quartered artichokes
- oil for a deep fry
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons rice flour or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
FOR THE LEMON AIOLI:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons stoneground dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients for the aioli. Mix well.
- Cover and reserve until ready to serve.
- Heat to 350°, enough oil in a pot for a deep fry.
- Drain and gently rinse the artichokes. Pat dry.
- In a bowl combine the flour, rice flour and seasonings. Mix to combine.
- Dredge the artichokes in the flour to fully coat.
- Fry the coated artichokes until they turn golden brown (should only take a few minutes). Do not overcrowd the pot. Fry in batches, if necessary.
- Remove and drain on paper towels, or a cooling rack sheet pan combo.
- Salt immediately.
- Serve warm.
- Garnish with fresh lemon wedges, fresh parsley and the lemon aioli.
SEE POST FOR NOTES AND TIPS!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 6 artichokes
Keywords: how to make crispy fried artichokes, how to make lemon aioli, how to make crispy artichokes in the air fryer, easy appetizer ideas, quick appetizer ideas, vegetable appetizer recipes, vegetarian appetizer ideas, how to make vegan aioli,
LET’S GET SOCIAL!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!
No comment yet, add your voice below!