There’s something incredibly satisfying about a bowl of velvety, homemade mashed potatoes. This simple, yet indulgent potato dish, can elevate any meal, bringing comfort and warmth to your table. This Creamy Homemade Mashed Potatoes recipe guarantees a smooth, buttery, and flavorful side dish that pairs perfectly with a variety of dishes. Homemade mashed potatoes offer a taste of nostalgia and a touch of luxury, making them a must-have for any occasion.
WHY MAKE HOMEMADE MASHED POTATOES
Creating tasty mashed potatoes from scratch offers an unparalleled taste and texture, as opposed to store-bought. Honestly, the creamy smoothness and rich flavors of homemade mashed potatoes far surpass instant varieties. By controlling the ingredients, you ensure a fresh, preservative-free dish that embodies the essence of comfort food.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY HOMEMADE MASHED POTATOES
Homemade mashed potatoes offer a taste of nostalgia and a touch of luxury, making them a must-have for any occasion. To achieve the fluffy texture, it’s best to use a hand mixer. Alternatively, for more of a potato purée, use a potato ricer or pass through a sturdy mesh strainer.
- 2 lb. Yukon gold or yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into even chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Place the peeled and rinsed potatoes in a pot with 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover with cold water, ensuring the water level is about 1″ above the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then partially cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are boiling, heat the cream and 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepot until warm.
- Drain the cooked potatoes in a colander. Return the potatoes to the pot and place it back on the stove to allow excess water to steam off.
- Remove the pot from heat. Pour in half of the warm butter/cream mixture and add 2 more tablespoons of butter. Mix with a hand mixer on low until combined. Check the texture, then add the remaining cream/butter mixture, sour cream, and 2 more tablespoons of butter. Mix until light and fluffy. Adjust salt to taste.
- Serve the mashed potatoes in a bowl, topped with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
VARIATIONS OF MASHED POTATOES
This potato mash recipe is a great base for layering additional flavors. Here’s a list of ingredients you can consider incorporating to make your homemade mashed potatoes more exciting:
- Garlic: Roasted or sautéed garlic adds a subtle, savory flavor.
- Cheese: Sharp cheddar, Parmesan, smoked Gouda, or even blue cheese can be melted into the potatoes, creating a cheesy and indulgent dish.
- Herbs: Fresh or dried herbs like parsley, chives, thyme, or rosemary can impart a refreshing and aromatic taste.
- Bacon: Crispy bacon bits or crumbled bacon add a smoky and salty crunch to the creamy potatoes.
- Caramelized Onions: Sweet and savory caramelized onions add depth and complexity to the flavor profile.
- Condiments: Horseradish, mustard, wasabi or pesto, are also great additions.
- Truffle Oil: A drizzle of truffle oil imparts an elegant and earthy aroma to this potato dish.
- Crispy Shallots: Fried shallots add a crispy, sweet, and savory topping to mashed potatoes.
SERVING AND LEFTOVER IDEAS
Mashed potatoes are incredibly versatile and can be paired with a wide variety of dishes, or enjoyed alone. Here are a few ideas you can pair with mashed potatoes to create a delicious and satisfying meal:
- Meatloaf Meatballs
- Braised Short Ribs
- Thanksgiving Dinner
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Classic Meatloaf
- Hearty Beef Stew
- Cannellini Bean Sausage Stew
- Stuffed Roasted Turkey Breast
- Prime Rib
Store leftover mashed potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently warm in a saucepan over low heat, adding a splash of cream or milk to restore that creamy texture.
Easily, transform leftover mashed potatoes into crispy potato pancakes, add them to soups and stews for added thickness and flavor, use as a topping for shepherd’s pie, make potato croquettes and so much more!Print
GET TO KNOW ME!
WELCOME! My name is Melissa Latin aka. Charlotte Fashion Plate. Happy to meet you! I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!