This Country Sausage Breakfast Bowl is the perfect combination of savory sausage, crispy hash browns, and rich, yolky duck eggs. The inclusion of onion, red peppers and diced jalapeño adds depth to the taste, while salt and pepper bring out the natural flavors of the ingredients. Serve this dish for a delicious and filling breakfast or brunch. The combination of protein from the sausage and carbohydrates from the hash browns and eggs makes it a balanced meal to start your day, or enjoy as Breakfast for Dinner!
WHY A BREAKFAST BOWL?
This hearty and flavorful Sausage Breakfast Bowl is the perfect way to start your day. The combination of savory sausage, crispy hash browns, and eggs is balanced out by the addition of healthy veggies like onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño, and spinach. If you love my Breakfast Skillet recipe, you will love this one too!
It’s so easy to make a delicious breakfast in one bowl that will keep you full and energized all morning long!
Although this recipe uses fried eggs, feel free to substitute with poached or fluffy scrambled eggs.
LET’S TALK DUCK EGGS!
Eggs are a staple in many households! Chicken eggs are more readily available, but have you ever tried duck eggs?
Duck eggs are a specialty food that is gaining popularity among food lovers and culinary enthusiasts. These eggs are slightly larger and have a more intense flavor than chicken eggs, making them an excellent choice for a variety of dishes. They are also rich in nutrients and provide a great source of protein and healthy fats.
Most grocery stores now carry duck eggs, or seek out your local farmers for fresh duck eggs!
What do duck eggs taste like?
Duck eggs have a rich and buttery flavor, with a creamier texture than chicken eggs. They have a slightly sweet and nutty taste, with a slightly stronger yolk flavor than chicken eggs. The yolks are also a deep yellow color, making them a beautiful addition to dishes like quiches, frittatas, egg-based desserts, and this Country Sausage Breakfast Bowl.
Whether you’re looking to add a unique twist to your breakfast, or seeking a rich and flavorful ingredient for your cooking and baking, duck eggs are an excellent choice. They are versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes, from savory to sweet. Taste the difference for yourself!
What’s the difference between duck eggs and chicken eggs?
While both duck eggs and chicken eggs are similar in appearance, there are some key differences that set them apart.
One of the most noticeable differences is the size of the eggs. Duck eggs are typically larger than chicken eggs, with a thicker shell. They also have a higher content of fat and protein, making them a nutritious and filling food option.
The yolks of duck eggs are also creamier and have a deeper yellow color than chicken egg yolks.
Another difference between duck eggs and chicken eggs is the way they cook. Duck eggs have a slightly thicker white, which means they hold their shape better when cooked. Seriously, the yolk rarely breaks when making sunny-side up duck eggs!
AIR FRYER HASH BROWNS
Air fryer hash browns are a quick and healthy way to enjoy this classic dish. By using an air fryer, you can achieve the same crispy and delicious results as traditional fried hash browns, but with less oil and a healthier cooking method. Hash browns add a great element of texture to this Country Sausage Breakfast Bowl.
The use of just two tablespoons of oil in this recipe is enough to ensure the hash browns are crispy, while the high heat of the air fryer helps to cook them evenly and thoroughly. Instead of buying refrigerated or frozen hash browns, shred leftover potatoes, for a budget-friendly and waste-free dish.
Of course, if you do not have an air fryer, crisp up the hash browns in a skillet, or in the oven.
If you are looking to replace your current air fryer, I love this combination Air Fryer by Gourmia!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS BREAKFAST BOWL
- Country Sausage: About a pound of your favorite country or breakfast sausage.
- Eggs: Chicken eggs can be substituted for duck eggs.
- Hash Browns: Refrigerated were used in this recipe, but you can substitute with frozen or shredded potatoes.
- Onions: As little, or as much as you want. Minced garlic is also an option.
- Red Pepper: Add yellow, green and orange, too!
- Diced Jalapeño: Leave out if you desire.
- Baby Spinach: About two big handfuls will do
- Seasonings: Season the potatoes your way!
- Cheese: Add cheese, if you please!
LEFTOVERS AND STORAGE
This breakfast dish will easily serve four, or will make for a hearty and filling breakfast for dinner, for two!
A Sausage and Egg Breakfast Bowl is so filling and can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to three days. A breakfast dish like this is also great for meal prep.
MORE BREAKFAST IDEAS!
If breakfast is your jam (pun intended), check out some of my favorite recipes:
- The BEST French Toast
- Super Fluffy Scrambled Eggs
- Eggs Benedict on a Pancake
- Asparagus Gruyère Quiche
- Sous Vide Egg Bites (way better than Starbucks)
Country Sausage Breakfast Bowl with Duck Eggs
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 bowls 1x
This Country Sausage Breakfast Bowl is the perfect combination of savory sausage, crispy hash browns, and rich, yolky duck eggs. The inclusion of onion, red peppers and diced jalapeño adds depth to the taste, while salt and pepper bring out the natural flavors of the ingredients. Serve this dish for a delicious and filling breakfast or brunch.
- 1 pound country sausage
- 1 pound refrigerated or frozen hash browns
- 4 duck or 8 chicken eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Start by browning the sausage in a pan. Break apart.
- If using an air fryer for the hash browns, preheat to 375°.
- Add the hash browns to a bowl. Pour on the olive oil. Season with 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, the onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.
- Toss to coat.
- Coat the air fryer basket with non-stick spray. Arrange the hash browns in a single layer.
- Air fry for about 15 to 18 minutes. Toss a few times.
- When the sausage is almost fully cooked, add in the onions, red bell peppers and jalapeños. Soften for a few minutes.
- Add the spinach. Season with the salt and pepper. Allow to just wilt.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Crack the eggs in the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the eggs sunny-side up.
- Grab a bowl, starting building with a layer of crispy hash browns, add a 1/4 of the sausage mixture, then top with the fried eggs.
- Garnish with fresh jalapeño slices and/or fresh parsley.
- duck eggs will make this extra rich
- alternatively, pan fry or bake the hash browns
- add cheese, if you desire
- see post for more tips and substitutions
- the recipe will yield 4 breakfast size servings, or 2 large dinner servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
Keywords: how to make a country sausage breakfast bowl, what do duck eggs taste like, protein packed breakfast recipe ideas, savory breakfast recipe ideas, breakfast meal prep ideas, what ingredients can I put in a breakfast bowl, balanced meal to start the day, duck egg recipes, energizing breakfast bowl recipe ideas, how to make air fryer hash browns, breakfast for dinner ideas
GET TO KNOW ME!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Let’s Get Social!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!
No comment yet, add your voice below!