Seriously, make this tonight and every night, for that matter! This cheesy Gruyère sauce is the most perfect compliment to a big head of roasted cauliflower. Additionally, this recipe for Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower is a great way to get the kiddos to eat their vegetables! Although this Roasted Cauliflower is a bit time consuming to prepare, it will be worth every single second.
Much love to Andy Hearnden for this amazing cheesy roasted vegetable recipe idea!
Naturally, I created a short TikTok video preparing this fabulous cheesy vegetable dish. Be sure to check the video out down below. If you have not yet signed up for this social media platform, use my code 5SSIS800K0H06 to create an account.
HOW TO PERFECTLY ROAST CAULIFLOWER
If you have never roasted cauliflower before, you MUST! Honestly, almost any roasted vegetable, tastes incredible. Prior to roasting, it’s a good idea to gently boil the cauliflower for at least 10 minutes. This will allow the cauliflower to become even more tender after roasting. Boiling first will also ensure that the cauliflower does not get too brown or burn while it’s roasting.
HOW TO PREPARE THE MOST PERFECT MELTY CHEESE SAUCE
Preparing the most perfect cheese sauce is an art. Once the warmed heavy whipping cream is whisked into the blonde roux, slowly incorporate the shredded cheese. This is a very important step to making this Cheesy Sauce.
Incorporating the shredded cheese all at once, or adding too much at a time can cause clumping and/or stringiness. Remember, you are looking for a super creamy cheese sauce.
If the cheese sauce becomes too thick, adjust by adding a touch more cream.
WHAT KIND OF CHEESE TO USE FOR CHEESE SAUCE
As mentioned above, creating the most perfect cheese sauce is an art form. The type of cheese will either make, or break the recipe (pun intended). This Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower recipe was made using Gruyère cheese.
The following are great alternatives, or you can also consider mixing a few varieties:
- monterey jack
VEGAN CHEESY ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
Although I have not tried using vegan cheese, I would recommend either Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda, or Epic Mature Cheddar to make this a Vegan Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower.
Additionally, substitute the heavy whipping cream with non-dairy cream like Silk’s Dairy-Free Cream or Flora’s Plant Based Double Cream.
SUBSTITUTES FOR CAULIFLOWER
In my opinion cauliflower is the perfect vegetable to use in this Cheesy Roasted Vegetable dish. However, any of the following would be great substitutes. Keep in mind that roasting time will vary depending upon the type of vegetable used in this dish:
- sweet potatoes
- celery root
- cabbage (I’m definitely trying this!)
LEFTOVER CHEESY ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
Believe me when I say this…there will be NO Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower leftovers. In fact, I wish I had made two! However, by the slimmest chance that there are leftovers, place in a sealed container. Leftovers will last up to two days in the fridge. Freezing is not recommended.
Gently reheat leftover Cheesy Cauliflower in the microwave, toaster oven, or oven.Print
Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
This recipe for Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower will become your new favorite side dish! Tender roasted cauliflower meets the most amazing creamy Gruyère cheese sauce. Believe me, it will be worth every single second of preparation!
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, plus
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 5 to 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Start boiling the chicken stock and water in a deep pot.
- Remove the green leaves from the cauliflower.
- Cut enough of the core to allow the cauliflower head to sit upright.
- Score the core with a knife.
- Once the pot reaches a boil, add in one teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Reduce heat and add the head of cauliflower. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Remove the cauliflower and all to drain well. Pat the top dry with paper towels.
- Place the cauliflower head onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Coat with olive oil and the remaining salt.
- Roast for 30 to 45 minutes. Allow the cauliflower to brown.
- In the final minutes of roasting, prepare the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Allow the raw flour taste to cook off for a few minutes before whisking in the heavy whipping cream.
- If the mixture is too thick at this point, add in a touch more cream.
- Whisk in the dijon mustard.
- Turn off the heat, or remove the pot from the heat.
- Slowly, very slowly incorporate four to five ounces of the cheese. Whisk in just a little bit at a time (taste as you go along to see if you have reached the desired cheesiness).
- Pour the cheese sauce all over the roasted cauliflower (use it all).
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place under broil until all of the cheese is melty and browned.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
SEE POST FOR TIPS AND NOTES!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Vegetables
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: how to make cheesy roasted cauliflower, how to roast cauliflower, how to roast vegetables, how to make a creamy cheese sauce, best cheese for making cheese sauce, how to make a vegan cheese sauce, side dish recipe ideas, side dish recipes,
LET’S GET SOCIAL!
I am more than just recipes. I love fashion and style too! Most importantly, I love my Family (my Hubby and my Fur Babies). My Husband (aka my “Kitchen Bitch”) means the world to me. He’s pretty damn cool too. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he also has had a lengthy career in professional hockey. Not only winning two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early ’90’s, but most recently winning the Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers, amongst many other accolades. If you live in Charlotte and play hockey, or have a family member who plays, be sure to contact him!
Our life has changed dramatically in the past few years with the passing of our two goldendoodles, Vegas and Viva. We were lucky enough to have Vegas for five years (totally wish it was longer). Most recently, losing our Viva to a brain tumor in July of 2020. We welcomed our mini goldendoodle 7, almost seven years ago. We just added the amazing Hazel! Of course, I am always posting tons and tons of photos! Be sure to check out my recipe for Pet Bone Broth! This broth is super rich in nutrients and will provide your pet with a multitude of health benefits!
Be sure to follow me on social media! I’m always talking food, fashion, and family! I also love sharing some of my favorite Amazon Finds too. Click here to check out my Amazon page! Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and Pinterest! THANK YOU!
No comment yet, add your voice below!