For an easy weeknight meal that is low-carb and healthyish, look no further than to this recipe for Roasted Eggplant Boats. Dinner done in just about 30 minutes, or less. Believe me, you may just turn someone on to eggplant that swore it off!
- 2 eggplants, cut in half, insides diced to use in filling
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons light olive oil
- 1/4 pound hot sausage, removed from casings
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil, some for garnish
- 2 Cups marinara sauce
- 2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Cut the eggplants in half. Core out the insides with a spoon to form a boat. Dice up the insides and reserve.
- Place the halved eggplants on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Roast for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the eggplant is roasting, brown the sausage and ground meat in a pan.
- Add in the reserved diced eggplant. Cook for another five minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic, fresh basil and marinara. Cook for another few minutes.
- Place a thin layer of shredded cheese on the inside of each eggplant boat.
- Fill each with the filling. Pile high. Top with more shredded cheese.
- Bake at 375° for about 6 to 8 minutes. Broiling for the last minute to brown the cheese.
- Garnish each with fresh basil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: how to roast eggplant, how to make roasted eggplant boats, keto dinner ideas, weeknight meal ideas,