For an easy weeknight meal that is low-carb and healthyish, look no further than to this recipe for Roasted Eggplant Boats. Dinner done in just about 30 minutes, or less. Believe me, you may just turn someone on to eggplant that swore it off!
- 2 eggplants, cut in half, insides diced to use in filling
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 TBLS light olive oil
- 1/4 lb. hot sausage, removed from casings
- 1/4 lb. ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBLS fresh chopped basil, some for garnish
- 2 C marinara sauce
- 2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Cut the eggplants in half. Core out the insides with a spoon to form a boat. Dice up the insides and reserve.
- Place the halved eggplants on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Roast for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the eggplant is roasting, brown the sausage and ground meat in a pan.
- Add in the reserved diced eggplant. Cook for another five minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic, fresh basil and marinara. Cook for another few minutes.
- Place a thin layer of shredded cheese on the inside of each eggplant boat.
- Fill each with the filling. Pile high. Top with more shredded cheese.
- Bake at 375° for about 6 to 8 minutes. Broiling for the last minute to brown the cheese.
- Garnish each with fresh basil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: how to roast eggplant, how to make roasted eggplant boats, keto dinner ideas, weeknight meal ideas,