Pasta Fagioli is like a warm, cozy bowl of deliciousness. It’s the ultimate Italian comfort food. This soup-like pasta is loaded with cannellini beans, pasta and a thick tomato base. I love the simplicity of this One Pot Pasta Fagioli. After the base of the soup has time to simmer, the pasta is cooked directly in the pot. The starchiness from the pasta adds the perfect thickness. Believe me, you will be making this traditional Italian “stoup, ” (a word often used by Rachel Rae) over and over again during these cold weather months.
- 12 ounces ditalini pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 celery stock, minced
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cans cannellini beans (one can drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans water
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (optional)
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- olive oil for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven.
- Add the bacon, carrots, celery, onion and rosemary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes to soften the vegetables and render the bacon.
- Add the garlic. Cook for another minute.
- Add two cans of the cannellini beans right from the can.
- Fill both cans with water and add to the pot.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Season again with salt and pepper.
- Add the cup of chicken stock or water (more, more as needed)
- Bring almost to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer hard with the lid on for about 30 to 40 minutes (stir often and continue checking the liquid levels).
- Drain and rinse the remaining can of cannellini beans.
- Add to a food processor or bowl (if using an immersion blender) with a spoonful of the broth. Pulse until thickened.
- Pour and mix into the soup.
- Stir in the uncooked pasta.
- Add the fresh parsley.
- Cook until the pasta is al dente.
- Taste for salt.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil
SEE POST FOR NOTES, TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Soup, Bisque
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
Keywords: how to make one pot pasta fagioli, how to make pasta fagioli, what is pasta fagioli, how to make vegetarian pasta fagioli, what kind of pasta to use in pasta fagioli, what kind of beans to use in pasta fagioli, is pasta fagioli easy to make