Although not traditional, I think you will love my version of Easy Seafood Paella. The most perfect rice combines beautifully with super fresh seafood. It will have you wanting more. Follow this recipe and technique to achieve the most perfect rice and seafood combination.
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 TBLS olive oil, plus
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 anchovy filets in oil
- 2 C Bomba or short-grained rice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 C chicken stock, plus
- 1 8oz. bottle clam juice
- 1/2 C dry sherry wine
- 1 C crushed roma tomatoes
- 8 scallops, cut in half
- 1/2 lb. squid tubes, cut into circles
- 1 dozen littleneck or middleneck clams, cleaned and rinsed
- 1/2 to 1 lb. mussels, cleaned and rinsed
- 1/2 lb. tail-on shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 lemon wedges
- 1/2 C fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat up grill or stovetop to medium.
- Start rendering the bacon in a Paella pan.
- Add the anchovies and break up to start melting.
- Add in the olive oil.
- Add in the shallots and garlic. Cook for about three minutes to soften. Do NOT brown.
- Add in the rice, kosher salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper and bay leaves.
- Allow the rice and spices to toast up for a few minutes.
- After toasting, distribute the rice evenly in the pan.
- Pour in the chicken stock, clam juice, dry sherry and tomatoes.
- Evenly distribute the rice one last time. You will not be moving or stirring the rice again.
- Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While the rice is simmering, put a bit of a char or grill marks on the shrimp. Do not fully cook. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
- Check the liquid level of the rice. You may need to add a touch more chicken stock.
- Place the scallops. Allow them to cook for a few minutes before flipping.
- Flip the scallops
- Add in the squid, clams and mussels. Place lid and allow the clams and mussels to open.
- The time it takes to open up the clams and mussels will be enough to cook the squid.
- If you find the clams and/or mussels are having a difficult time opening, place on the grill and close lid.
- Transfer any clams/mussels back to the dish.
- Add the shrimp and allow to finish cooking in the pan. The shrimp should not longer be translucent.
- Turn up the heat just a touch to achieve a nice crispy rice layer on the bottom.
- Garnish with fresh lemon wedges and fresh parsley.
SEE POSTFOR HELPFUL TIPS
Keywords: how to make easy seafood paella, how to make seafood paella, what is paella, what kind of seafood to use in paella, what kind of rice to use in paella, is paella easy to make, what kind of pan to use to make paella,