Springtime is just another reason for me to start creating super simple and healthy seafood dishes. Farmer’s markets are abundant with fresh produce. To prepare this dish, fresh varieties of tomatoes are simply marinated in lime juice and olive oil and used to create a fabulous topping for these steamed and chilled mussels. The flavor of this Chilled Mussels with Fresh Tomatoes seafood dish screams fresh and bright, with zero guilt.
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. fresh mussels (approximately 45 to 50 mussels)
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes, or Roma tomatoes, tiny dice
- 1 small green chili, or jalapeño, tiny dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 to 3 lemon wedges, for garnish
- Allow the mussels to soak in cold water for a few minutes. Discard any mussels that are open and/or cracked. Debeard, if necessary.
- While the mussels are soaking, combine the diced tomatoes, diced pepper, fresh parsley, lime juice, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl. Reserve.
- Drain and rinse the mussels.
- Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, heat up the remaining tablespoon of olive oil with the garlic cloves. Cook for a minute or so to infuse the oil.
- Add the white wine, salt and pepper to the pan.
- Turn up the heat and bring to almost a boil.
- Add the mussels. Place lid.
- The mussels will start to open almost immediately. Transfer mussels to the ice bath as soon as they open.
- Discard any mussels that do not open after a minute or two.
- Remove the top shell and release the mussel from its foot.
- Plate the mussels on the half shell onto a platter.
- Fill each with a spoonful of the fresh tomatoes.
- Garnish the platter with a touch more olive oil and fresh parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
SEE POST FOR NOTES AND TIPS!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Serving Size: 10 mussels
Keywords: how to clean mussels, what are mussels, easy mussels recipe, easy seafood appetizer ideas, quick seafood dishes, easy seafood recipe ideas, seafood appetizer recipes, what is the difference between clams and mussels, how to steam mussels, best way to cook mussels, how to store leftover mussels, how long will uncooked mussels last in the fridge,